Rich-text Reply

Using Heat Map Data to Guide Testing

jfx1026 07-21-15

Using Heat Map Data to Guide Testing

We noticed through CrazyEgg (out heat mapping tool) that users were clicking like crazy on our carosel slider buttons. The problem was that these buttons didn't actually link through - you had to click the image to go deeper, the buttons just moved the slider.

The hypothesis was that if we made these clickable into the site we'd get a deeper and more meaningful engagement.

The test is still running at the moment, but all indications are positive and our hypothesis is looking spot on.

The moral of the story – use any and all data sources availeble to inform your testing.

http://johnfreeborn.com
Level 3

marie 07-21-15

Re: Using Heat Map Data to Guide Testing

Hey, 

You might also want to test stopping the carusel and having a value proposition with one CTA visible on the homepage. 

Definitely an improvement so far, but sometimes the carusel (even with the right value props and CTA's) can still be a distraction. 

We follow the ResearchXL model at ConversionXL Agency to come up with testing hypothesis (heatmaps are included). Maybe you'll find something to integrate into your own process from there as well. 

Have a great day, 

Marie

Level 2
Amanda 07-21-15

@jfx1026 - Thanks for sharing this! It's definitely great to hear that you found meaninful insights from your heatmapping. Actually, I know @Case has seen some similar findings and I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share here Case? 

Here's another interesting post that will be relevant to others reading this post. There are all kinds of ways to collect data that will help you create meaninful test ideas! 

https://community.optimizely.com/t5/Using-Optimizely/Tools-to-help-me-figure-out-what-to-test-qualar...

Optimizely
Case 07-22-15

Thanks for the shout out, Amanda. We do use CrazyEgg heavily to gain insights into how users are engaging with our site.

Rocket Lawyer is a legal documents service, and we've found (through clickmapping and scroll tracking) that serious users like to do a fair amount of research on our landing pages before they commit to clicking on the CTA. We've made several elements on our landing page more interactive and prominant as a result of seeing where users were clicking.

Hope you have positive insights!

Case

Level 2
Amanda 09-14-15

@jfx1026 - What did the results of this test end up proving? We'd love to learn more about the results and what you did with them! 

Optimizely
jfx1026 09-14-15

@Amanda the results were simple and positive.

1.2% increase in clicks on home carousel content.

.03% engagement increase.

Everyone agreed internally that this change should have happened long before.

The surprise stat, a 6.8% increase in revenue. This was not the primary goal, but always welcome.

http://johnfreeborn.com
Level 3
Amanda 09-15-15

@jfx1026 - Wow, that's amazing! I love that you found a big jump in revenue too. I'm sure this will be a great learning for community members as well. 

Would you be willing to share a little more about your type of business? Was this an e-commerce site etc? Also, I'd love to be able to visualize this test via a screenshot of the carousel with the buttons. 

Do you have any ideas for the next test to iterate on the learnings here? 

Optimizely
charshman 12-08-15

Great use of data to inform your test ideas. Research is such a crucial part of A/B test ideation.
Optimizely