Rich-text Reply

Variation increased add to cart but did not convert like the control

TanyaR 10-05-16

Variation increased add to cart but did not convert like the control

Hello- We ran a test for our buy now page. The variation add to carts increases more than the control but the CR was less than the control by 1.27%. Would you all retest? and/or any reasons as why this may happened? The cart is the same.
Level 2

CouchPsycho 10-06-16

Re: Variation increased add to cart but did not convert like the control

Hi,

the answer ist simple: It depends :-)

You did not write a lot about your two variation and the original. Also we do not know anything about the products you are offering. If you provide some details, i will tell you my opinion, if you like :-)

Kind regards

Michael

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
JasonDahlin 10-06-16

Re: Variation increased add to cart but did not convert like the control

[ Edited ]

Add To Cart rate increased.

Conversion rate decreased.

There are *lots* of reasons this could happen.  Without knowing what you did, I cannot suggest anything that may be applicable.

As an example of an experiment that could cause this...

A_control: your product pages contain real prices

B_test: your product pages list everything as free

C_test: your product pages say "add to cart to reveal the actual price"

In both the B and C variations, your cart add rate will drastically increase.

In the B_test your conversion will be horrible because you misrepresented the price and they abandon you out of principal

In the C_test your conversion rate will be worse because people are hesitant to "add to cart" if they don't know the price. (Less impactful but also relevant in this scenario - if your product prices are higher than expectations, your conversion rate will be lower.  If your product prices are lower than expectations, your conversion rate may actually improve among those who do "add to cart" between A and C variaitions.)

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero