Rich-text Reply

We have more unique visitors in Optimizely than GA

MichaelK 02-13-17

Issue: 

Situation:

Recently I tested our homepage with two new designs for five days. I used redirect URL and set up 2 custom goals in the experiment.

- Goal 1: Click CTA button and visit the funnel

- Goal 2: Finishing the funnel and reach to ThankYou page

In Integrations, I setup Google Universal Analytics and Custom Dimension.

Result:

I analysed the experiment data for 3 days (except the first and last day).

Result

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 9.48.49 am.png

Goal 1

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 9.49.00 am.png

Goal 2

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 9.49.19 am.png

Question:

How do I fix this issue?

Level 1

RyanC 02-15-17

Re: We have more unique visitors in Optimizely than GA

Do you have any bots checking the health/uptime of your website?
Ryan
------------------------------------------------
The best solution is the simplest.
Level 9
Breana_Eads 02-16-17

Re: We have more unique visitors in Optimizely than GA

Double check that your integration has been set up correctly, and there is not a timing issue occurring that is preventing GA from sending information off correctly each time a page loads.  If you follow this article for Classic Optimizely on Integrating Google Analytics then I would expect the following steps to take place:

- The Optimizely snippet loads on the page first, which then defines the experiment and variation information
- Then the GA tracking code loads on the page, which defines the tracking object that collects data about the user.
- Then execute the Optimizely Universal Analytics API call that sets the experiment and variation name to the Custom Dimension.
- Finally, the GA pageview call executes which sends all of this information over to UA

Other things to consider:

Be sure that the URL targeting for Optimizely and GA are the same

Check there is no IP filtering added to either platform that is not added to the other

When filtering the results by date range, GA filters by calendar day UTC time, and Optimizely filters date/time by your local time.  

If this all seems in line, then I would take @ryn004 suggestion and look for BOTs in the raw data.

Breana Eads
Optimizely