Rich-text Reply

What are some questions you ask in interviews for optimization roles?

Amanda 04-02-15

What are some questions you ask in interviews for optimization roles?

[ Edited ]

We recently ran a contest in the community where we asked: "What are the must-have skills to be a Growth Marketer?"

Based on the response from the Optiverse, we put together an infographic that highlights the top 8 qualities optimizers said are required to be a Growth Marketer. The visual is intended to help you find (or become) a Growth Marketer. 

We also added a few interview questions that can help you drill down into whether a candidate has the required skills to be a Growth Marketer. We're curious:

• What are your favorite interview questions when hiring a Growth Marketer?
  • What have you been asked in an interview?  

Infographic_GrowthMarketer.png

Optimizely

MartijnSch 04-07-15

Re: What are some questions you ask in interviews for optimization roles?

I've been lucky and have for the last years mostly been the interviewer instead of the interviewee that's why a lot of these questions haven't been asked to me. The questions around the topics of: empathetic and analytics are usually in the questions I would ask in an interview.

What I saw working quite well for the CRO and online marketing positions that we hired over the last couple of months / year is that you really have to provide them with a real life example that you haven't been able to fix without their help (yet) but probably know the answer already to. It makes it very clear to me after asking these questions on how they approach the problem, what tools or other resources they would use to get the job done and how they would monitor the results. And last, on if they try to make it an ongoing and scalable process.
adzeds 04-16-15

Re: What are some questions you ask in interviews for optimization roles?

As I tend to work solo I have never interviewed for a CRO position.

If I were to run an interview I would be sure to ask a question that allowed the candidate to explain their process for finding, planning, running and reporting on an A/B test. This would most likely be in the format of a scenario presented to the candidate prior to the interview and ask them to present their process in the interview.

You also get a good reading on how well they can present information in a way that makes it easy to understand!
David Shaw
Level 11