Rich-text Reply

What are your testing ideas to optimize this page and increase form submissions?

Amanda 11-04-14

What are your testing ideas to optimize this page and increase form submissions?

A fellow Optiverse member needs your help. What are your testing ideas to optimize this page and increase registrations? Please provide an explanation for your ideas. 

Here is a screenshot of the registration page: 

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 7.13.17 PM.png

Optimizely

adzeds 11-04-14

Re: What are your testing ideas to optimize this page and increase form submissions?

There is one huge problem with this page!
-- What am I signing up for?

> The page needs a clear headline with value proposition
> Remove the left column or replace it with content such as a testimonial, a payment security logo, satisfaction/money back guarantee.
> Make the 'Apply' button a standard text link, or process coupon codes on Submit.
> Remove Signup/forgot password links from under form
> Improve CTA text. Maybe "Start My First Course", "Start Learning Now", etc
> Add a nice image to the page, it is very plain at the moment!

Just a few pointers.
David Shaw
Level 11

Re: What are your testing ideas to optimize this page and increase form submissions?

I agree with everything that David mentioned. To add a bit to his excellent analysis -

- Given how much free information is available on these topics, $99 a month seems quite a premium. The value of the subscription really needs to be addressed. For example, are these well known marketers? What is specifically their experience? Did they train teams at well known brands? Do they have proven track record?

- To me, when I see a company offering only a 7 day free trial and they still want to take a credit card to access the material, it's not a confidence builder. If they really believe in their product, why not offer a 30 day trial or at least drop the credit card requirement to enter the trial?

- Do they earn a certificate that they can use to get a job or gain new clients?

- Is there any guarantee that can be offered to the visitor?  

I think by addressing some of these questions, DigitalGroundUp will increase their conversion rate for this sign up page.

Happy Testing!

Keith Lovgren

Pauline 11-05-14

I agree with everything above.

A few additional ideas:

- the Header is not consistant from Home Page to users/register, it is very confusing and I had the impression that it was a different website

- List of benefits of the membership

- "Free cancellation" very clear and obvious and big!

- Remove social media (otherwise too many call to actions)

- Try removing fields from the form (first and last name combined, no confirm password...)

- Bigger Submit button (competing too much with the "apply" of coupon code)

- Maybe explain what happens after they sign up (do they receive a welcome email? do they have onboarding videos? do they have access to a membership dashboard?..)

Product Manager
Level 2

Thanks Keith - we actually were doing a 30 day trial and got pushback that that was too long and users should know if they want to use it or not after 7 days. Thoughts on trial length?

That's a difficult postion you seem to be in @nodaybuttoday08. You know that a longer trial period, would help conversions, but your exec team wants to see revenue sooner versus a few weeks later.

In my opinion, a week is too short for a person to evaluate the marketing course you offer. Here's why I think this -

Your competitor's offering has a big influence on your conversion rate. There are a ton of places to find this type of content for free, khan academy, bloggers, CRO experts, and online marketers who post great material weekly. The paid solutions like Lynda.com etc. have been around a long time and have strong brand equity.

As a new company, you're going to have to overcome this disadvantage.

If a person sighs up and goes through a lesson or two, it might be a few days until they can get into their GA account and apply the learnings and see what the takeaways are like. For a lot of people this is going to take at least a week. By that time, their trial is up and they have not had a chance to fully determine if the subscription is a good value for them.

If you do go with a 30 day trial and your company experiences a lot of churn from the extended trial period, then that's a good sign that the product needs to be retooled and most likely re priced lower. While this might be difficult news for the company, isn't it better to find this out sooner versus later?

In a general sense, I think the best way to increase conversion rate is to side with your website visitors. Speak their language, be sensitive to the way they search for information, and present your company/product in a way that will best resonate with their needs.

As I only have a very superficial knowlege of your company, please take all of this with a grain of salt. I hope you find a bit of this helpful.

Happy Testing   

Keith Lovgren

adzeds 11-06-14

Why not test the duration of the free trial and see which works out best for the business in terms of initial signups and continuation into paying customers?

- If you put a hidden field in your form you can send the variation the visitor saw into the DB and monitor it that way?

David Shaw
Level 11
Jonathan 12-08-14

Well, first get rid of the social links on the left.

Make the personal info/user/pass section to be on the left. Separate it with a line in the middle and have the billing info/CC on the right.

A captcha for a CC form?! Never seen one. Get rid of it. At least test it without it. It's confusing the way it is right now.

Forgot password is irrelevant on this page. Also sign in link.

Good luck!
Level 2