Rich-text Reply

A/B Split Test Cross Domains

sabian1982 06-30-16

A/B Split Test Cross Domains

I'm currently attempting to run a split test which involves having the conversion/goal page on a secondary domain.

Traffic lands on domain1.com (and is split 50/50 between two landing pages) and click throughs from that domain go to domain2.com where the checkout process and order confirmation page are located.

I've set the goals as sub-string match confirmation and thankyou and conversions for these goals have been recorded in a couple of instances however a lot of conversions have not come through.

Is there a better way of implementing the goals to ensure every conversions is recorded accurately or is the fact the test is being split across multiplate domains (split test landing pages on domain1.com and goal pages on domain2.com) the cause of this issue?

David_Orr 07-01-16

Re: A/B Split Test Cross Domains

Hi,

The easiest way to track across domain is to utilize an invisible iframe that his a specific url from the first domain. Here is a link to our KB article for more info:

https://help.optimizely.com/Track_Conversion_Goals/Cross-Domain_Tracking_with_Optimizely

David
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely
Zsolt 07-01-16

Extra tip, the iframe can be added through Google Tag Manager, this way you won't have to fiddle around in the backend!
Level 5
David_Orr 07-01-16

Great tip ZSOLT!

I also would like to add that you can create a blank page with the snippet from the 1st domain and re-use the same page and separate your goals by using different query parameters.

For example:

Confirmation Page on Domain 2:
* Inject an iframe that leads to domain1.com/tracking.html?confirmation

Thank You Page on Domain 2:
* Inject an iframe that leads to domain1.com/tracking.html?thankyou

How to set up the goals:

Confirmation Goal:

Goal type: Pageview
URL: domain1.com/tracking.html?confirmation
Match Type: Exact

Confirmation Goal:

Goal type: Thank You Page
URL: domain1.com/tracking.html?thankyou
Match Type: Exact

David
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely
robertchan 07-05-16

Just a suggestion for delivery, in conjunction with the iFrame, you could also consider presenting your users with a modal display of everything that has been mentioned in this thread thusfar.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
sabian1982 07-05-16

[ Edited ]

Great replies - thanks pps, I'll give that a try Smiley Happy

Just as an additional question, presumely I don't have to limit myself to calling the domain1 iframe file on just the conversion page of domain2.com?

Presumably I can call the seperate html file (which i've named optimizely-conversion.html) on any page of domain2.com to allow me to run split tests etc?

sabian1982 07-06-16

Ok, so I've implemented the iframe but now zero goal conversions are coming through.

Here is how I've got things setup in Optimizely - is there a better way to implement?

Normal JS script in header on domain1.com
.html file with cross domain tracking located on root of domain1.com

Visitors click through from domain1.com and land on domain2.com where they proceed through the checkout funnel.

At the end of the checkout funnel (which has the iframe called) they reach the confirmation page:

www.domain2.com/international/checkout/confirmation.php?p=XXX (where XXX is a very long unique identifier)

In Optimizely the goal is set as:

"The percentage of visitors who visited confirmation (substring match)."

Is there something wrong in the setup or is there a better way to implement the goal? Do i perhaps need to set the goal as simple match using www.domain2.com/international/checkout/confirmation.php as the goal variable?
Zsolt 07-06-16

Your goal should be - number of visits on the .html file (that is in the iframe). Remember, if you're watching for page visits on domain2, there's no Optimizely script, so no tracked page views.
Level 5
sabian1982 07-06-16

Ah ok. I think I understand.

So the iframe snippet should ONLY be deployed to the order confirmation/thankyou page(s) - is that correct?

Based on the iframe being deployed on www.domain2.com/international/checkout/confirmation.php?p=XXX the goal should then be:

What to Track: Pageviews
URL to Track: www.domain1.com/optimizely-conversion.html
URL Match Type: Exact Match

Correct?
Zsolt 07-06-16

Yes, that is correct.
Level 5
sabian1982 07-06-16

Final question... so if the iframe is ONLY deployed and called as a goal from domain1.com on the order confirmation page, presumably for split testing and other tests the domain2.com can simply have the normal JS code snippet applied?
Zsolt 07-06-16

[ Edited ]

Yes, if you can include the optimizely snippet on both domains then it shouldn't be a problem tracking any page view - in which case you don't need to use the iframe.

Level 5