Rich-text Reply

Allocating 100% of traffic to one version but still seeing the other version

badger 01-03-17

Allocating 100% of traffic to one version but still seeing the other version

[ Edited ]

Maybe it's a caching thing, but I set one version to get 100% of traffic, and on some browsers (days later) I could still see the version that should have been getting 0% traffic. Any ideas??

Level 1

robertchan 01-04-17

Re: Allocating 100% of traffic to one version but still seeing the other version

It is likely a caching issue. I would clear out your cache and check again. In addition, if you had originally began running the experiment with a different traffic allocation percentage then you should keep in mind that visitors would not get bucketed into your new traffic allocation. Have a look at this article:

https://help.optimizely.com/Target_Your_Visitors/Traffic_Allocation%3A_Limit_experiment_traffic_or_l...

In particular, this section might be useful for you:

"Changes made to the overall experiment traffic allocation only affect new visitors. Existing visitors (whether or not they were bucketed in a variation) will keep seeing the same variation, even if change the traffic allocation. This also means that visitors excluded from the test will always be excluded, even if you change the overall traffic allocation to 100%."
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
JasonDahlin 01-05-17

Re: Allocating 100% of traffic to one version but still seeing the other version

When you say you "set it to 100%", was it ever active and *not* at 100%?

If so, then any user who saw the experiment before you changed it to 100% will continue to see the "now inactive" version of the experiment.

To truely set an experiment as the default variation for ALL users, you should

1- clone the experiment,

2- remove all obsolete variations,

3- deactivate the original experiment,

4- activate the new clone

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero