Rich-text Reply

Analytics Integration (async tag) functionality broken with auto-UA migration?

NVC 06-06-14

Analytics Integration (async tag) functionality broken with auto-UA migration?

Hi,

 

Our GA account was recently auto-migrated to Universal Analytics. With auto-migrated I mean via the GA UI, the tracking code has not been changed to analytics.js yet. 

 

It appears that with that change, the otherwise straight forward integration via a custom variable slot has been broken. Has anyone experienced the same thing? 

 

I do understand that Optimizely provides a solution for UA, but for that to work I expect that I need to be runnign the UA tag.

 

Any feedback anyone..? 

 

Thanks!

NVC
Level 1

tyson 06-06-14
 

Re: Analytics Integration (async tag) functionality broken with auto-UA migration?

Hi there,

This seems unusual...we have clients that are in a similar situation (auto-upgraded to Universal, but haven't changed to analytics.js yet), and the Optimizely integration is still working fine.

Would you consider posting the URL? I can take a look.

Thanks,
Tyson Kirksey
COO - Vertical Nerve




Level 2
Pam 06-11-14
 

Re: Analytics Integration (async tag) functionality broken with auto-UA migration?

[ Edited ]

Hi!

 

Thanks for posting your question!

 

I checked with a few other clients, and it looks like their GA Classic Analytics integrations are still working as expected.  I took a look at your specific integration on your site, and it looks like something might be resetting the GA tracker (_gaq) on your website after Optimizely sets the Custom Variable information.

 

In order to debug the issue you are seeing, I checked that Optimizely is being called before the GA Track Pageview call is made, and it looks like this is working as expected.  However, in the attached screenshot from your site, I noticed that the "utme" Query String Parameter (which contains the Custom Variable information needed for Optimizely's GA integration to work as expected) is missing from the track pageview call.  It looks like something on your site might be erasing the Custom Variable information being set by Optimizely before the track pageview goal gets called on your page.  

 

GA.png

 

Hope this helps!

 

Thanks!

Pam

Pam
Optimizely