Rich-text Reply

Are Audience Settings Ignored when Using Force Parameters to Check My Work?

codeswish 10-17-14

Are Audience Settings Ignored when Using Force Parameters to Check My Work?

Like the title says.

I have an audience setting that is set to only show my experiment to desktop users. I've had issues with preview mode in the editor, so I prefer to check my changes using the force parameters.

Trouble is, when I test the experiment url in mobile browsers, the experiement is being run and messing up my page.

I wanted to rule out that it was possibly due to optimizely not applying audience filters to force parameter urls?

Here is an screenshot  of the page in safari on iphone 5s showing that the experiment is being on it even though audience is set to ignore mobile browsers:

ios_iPhone-5S_7.0_portrait.jpg 

ios_iPhone-5S_7.0_portrait.jpg
Amanda 10-17-14

Re: Are Audience Settings Ignored when Using Force Parameters to Check My Work?

Hey @codeswish - the force parameter does just what it sounds like, forces your variation to run Smiley Happy Your audience conditions will be ingored and the variation code will be forced to execute. 

If you want to test outside of the preview mode, but also want to test your audience conditions then I recommend adding a test cookie condition into your desktop audience. That way, you can actually set your experiment live and still ensure that public traffic will not see the experiment. Once you've confirmed that it's working as expected, you can remove the test cookie piece. 

Let me know if this makes sense, or if you have any quesitons. 

Optimizely
codeswish 10-18-14

Thanks for showing me that @Amanda 

It could definitely come in handy down the road!

Unfortunately, I am unable to set cookies on the mobile browsers I use to test. I ended up opting to go live with the experiement in the middle of the night,.

JDahlinANF 10-30-14

You could add a URL parameter to the targeting
?showMeMyStuff=1

Then turn the test live.
Since only URLs with that parameter will be entered into the test so you can verify that your mobile phone is correctly excluded from the experiment and not risk any real users from seeing the experiment until you remove that piece from the targeting.