Rich-text Reply

Audience Conditions - Excluding query parameter traffic that is redirected from vanity URLs

alexk 05-16-16

Audience Conditions - Excluding query parameter traffic that is redirected from vanity URLs

We're running a test where we're excluding a subset of our traffic using query parameters. The most important audience we'd like to exclude is anyone who is referred to our company via an existing member. Unfortunately, referral traffic is still coming through the test with our current setup and I'm wondering if it has to do with how we handle referrals on our end.

Since we have a large group of sales associates, we manage referrals by using vanity URLs that 301 redirect to a query URL (which we then use to apply a credit to their account once they sign up). For example, the vanity URL www.testsite.com/alex would redirect to www.testsite.com/?referral_code=alex.

Right now, I've set up the audience exclusion as shown here, where we're excluding all query parameter traffic that has any value with 'referral_code='. I'd love to hear any thoughts on if the 301 redirects could interfere with the audience exclusion or if there are any other issues that could be causing this traffic to be included in our test.

Thanks!

Level 1

Re: Audience Conditions - Excluding query parameter traffic that is redirected from vanity URLs

Hi there,

Try excluding the query parameter in URL targeting and see if that works.

Best,
Amy
Amy Herbertson
Customer Success