Rich-text Reply

BASELINE

Elephant 04-25-14

BASELINE

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is necessary to allocate traffic on baseline (original page). Could I only use variation 1 and variation 2 to see which convert better. Will be my result statistical significant then?

Level 2

MeganBush 04-26-14

Re: BASELINE

Optimizely allows you to edit your Original variation (or baseline), so you can actually select one of your variations and apply those changes to the "Original" within the product. Of course, there is always risk involved with testing new versions against each other with no regard for the original, but it is at least possible!
Megan Bush
Kathryn 04-29-14

Hi @Elephant,

I'm not sure if you meant you want to send 100% of traffic to the variations and 0% to your original, or if you want to alter the baseline as viewed on the results page. Both are possible, so I'll briefly outline what you should do for each scenario:

1. Allocate 100% traffic to the variations

On the traffic allocation page, set the traffic for the original to 0% and the remainder to your variations. Hit the apply button and then save your experiment. Please be aware that visitors who were previously bucketed into the original will continue to see the original unless they clear their cookies.

2. Change your baseline on the results page

On the results page, if you right-click on a variation, you can select an option to 'Compare other variations to this one'. This will set the variation in question as your new baseline. You can change it back or switch baselines at any time.

Hope this helps!
Optimizely
Elephant 05-07-14

Thank you very much.
Level 2
Elephant 05-07-14

Thank you. Both answeres were very helpful. Does it mean that visitors who were previously bucketed into the original won't be counted in test unless they clear their cookies.? (situation 1)
Level 2
Kathryn 08-08-14

Hi there!

Actually if visitors were already bucketed into a variation, they will continue to see that variation even if you set the traffic allocation for the variation to 0. I forgot to mention previously, but if you want to completely exclude visitors from a variation, the best thing to do would be to pause the experiment, duplicate it, set the traffic allocation as desired and then start the duplicate. This way none of the new visitors will have cookies and you'll be starting with a clean slate.

Hope this helps!

Kathryn

Optimizely