Rich-text Reply

Can I Run a Test Across multiple websites?

jprummer 01-07-15

Can I Run a Test Across multiple websites?

Quick question:

Let's say I have 10 websites, all with the same layout but different content. If I add my project code to each site, is there any way (even programmatically) that I can launch the test on all 10 domains?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Level 2

Amanda 01-07-15

Re: Can I Run a Test Across multiple websites?

Just to confirm, do you want to run 1 test across all 10 sites? Due to third part cookies, this is a little complicated. You will see inaccurate reporting and a person will bounce around variations across domains since the cookie will not be carried over in some browsers. 

If you are up for a technical workaround, you could add a hidden iframe to the domains as described in the support article here.

Otherwise, I would recommend keeping your experiment on the same domain if possible. You could add the snippet to each domain, but keep the experiments separate & unique to the domain too. 

Does this help clear things up? 

Optimizely
jprummer 01-23-15

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the answer and my apologies for the delayed reply. The sites would be completely different, so I wouldn't care to show a consistent experience across websites, and the chances of the user visiting each of the sites would be pretty slim. What I really want to do is fire up a test that runs on each of the sites and gives me access to the results of the site per test as well as collectively. Since these sites all have the same general layout I would be able to test and optimize certain elements at a much faster rate. Instead of creating the same test in 10 different sites I could create it once and run it. Is this possible?
Level 2
Leanne 01-23-15

Technically you could do that if the snippet was on the each of the pages, but I would recommend against it because it will combine all the resutls from each page into one. This will give you misleading data since every site has different visitors etc. 

What you could do is build the experiment for one site and then duplicated the experiment. The only thing you'll need to change in the duplicated experiments are the targeting settings and maybe some goals.

Does this sound like it would work?

Level 2
jprummer 01-25-15

Well it's not really what I am looking for, but I didn't expect I would find what I was looking for anyway as I know this isn't a standard implementation. Smiley Happy Could I technically auto generate these experiments via the API? The eventual goal would be to do this with hundreds of sites, not just a few, so doing this manually would really not be fun...
Level 2
Amanda 01-25-15

@jprummer  - can you tell us a little more about your goals for this? Do you own all the websites or do you own some sort of plugin? If you can provide some more details on what you are trying to accomplish, we might be able to find a better solution for you! 

Looking forward to hearing back.

Optimizely
Joel_Balmer 01-26-15

Hi @jprummer,

In addition to @AmandaS's points, you can create and update experiment via our rest API. To get started you'll need to get your token - more information can be found at the top of the rest api page, here. You can then check out our create experiment call, here, and our update experiment call, here. This will allow you to crete and start experiment programatically.

I'd also like to reiterate a point made above that inconsistent experience / bucketing between domains, etc., can lead to misleading data.

I hope that information is useful!

jprummer 01-27-15

Thank you all for the help! I'm in the investigation stage for a program right now and this is very helpful. I think the key will just be pricing it in a way that allows for some manual work.
Level 2
Amanda 01-27-15

Glad you got what you needed. We would love for you to post the solution you end up finding here so others can check it out. 

Optimizely