Rich-text Reply

Can't create new experiment because Optimizely can't load the target page.

neiljf 01-07-15
Accepted Solution

Can't create new experiment because Optimizely can't load the target page.

Please can someone help me?

Using Win7 laptop/google chrome latest version

I created my first experiment successfully a few days ago. It's still running.

I just tried to create a second experiment on the same target page.

1. I copy-and-pasted the target page direct from my browser.

2. Then I tried to create the draft experiment. But I got this message: "Sorry, but we were unable to load http://4thway.co.uk/"

The message suggests I put the optimizely code under the <HEAD> but we have already done that. I double-checked the code is there and that it is correct and in the right place. The only thing I can think of that might be wrong is that our google analytics code is directly beneath the head tag and optimizely comes second. Could that be it?

3. I tried to reload (step 2) several times.

4. I then tried other versions of the URL: 4thway.co.uk and http://4thway.co.uk. Still the same error message.

Any suggestions? Please bear in mind I'm not particularly technical, so if it's possible to explain it in layperson's terms that would be useful. If you can't put it in layperson's terms then I can still refer it to a developer.

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

Neil

Level 2

greg 01-07-15

Re: Can't create new experiment because Optimizely can't load the target page.

[ Edited ]

Here's a guide for troubleshooting this: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200179074

A common issue is if your site loads scripts through HTTP instead of HTTPS, it might prevent Optimizely from loading the page. In that case, you will see a "mixed content warning" in your browser -- and you just need to click the warning to allow it. 

Level 2
charlesn 01-07-15

Optimizely itself seems to be having some issues. I had pages stop tracking visitors as well as recieving the same error you are on a page that has been tested multiple times today.

Level 2
kellyw 01-07-15

I'm having this problem, too. Everything was working fine yesterday, and we haven't changed anything in our implementation of Optimizely.

Level 1
charlesn 01-07-15

neiljf 01-07-15

It seems many of us have been in the same boat, but it's working for me again now. I hope it is for you guys, too. Thanks for troubleshooting.
Level 2
Aisha 01-07-15

Hi Neil,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the editor. Our CDN actually isn't down right now. Rather, we are currently investigating an issue where the "Sorry, but we were unable to load..." error is being shown in spite of the Optimizely snippet being on the page. We really appreciate your patience and will reach out with more info as soon as we're able to provide an update.

Feel to reply if you have any questions in the interim. We're hoping to get this fixed quickly!

Best,

Aisha
Customer Success and Technical Support @ Optimizely!
Optimizely
charlesn 01-07-15

My mistake, hoping for a speedy resolution.
Level 2
neiljf 01-07-15

Thanks Aishja!
Level 2
bbox 01-08-15

Any update?  Can't create any new tests.

Level 1
Aisha 01-08-15

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your patience with this! I have an update regarding the Editor issue from yesterday. As a brief overview, the Editor was failing to load due to an error in the way we were requesting some of our editor resource files. Our Engineering Team has since deployed a fix, so please follow the below instructions in order to successfully load your experiment in the Editor.

- Please first clear your browsers’ cache. You can use these instructions if you need them: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic
- Open a new browsing window
- On the Home page, select any experiment
- In the right menu bar, scroll down and click to edit URL Targeting
- Click Save (this will update your Optimizely snippet)
- Load the experiment

Please let me know if you’re still having issues after clearing your cache. Thanks again for your patience throughout us deploying a fix.

Best,

Aisha
Customer Success and Technical Support @ Optimizely!
Optimizely
bbox 01-08-15

[ Edited ]

Edited:  Ok, it's working now Smiley Happy

Level 1
KenBrown 01-15-15

Aisha,

Can you send any of that magic my way, please? I have been trying to open up a paused experiment in our sandbox environment and I always get the Reload button. I tried your list seen above but that did not help. I thought maybe I could create a new experiment, but even that gets stopped at the Reload button.

Is this still a problem on the Optimizely side or is it just me?

Thanks,
Level 2
KenBrown 01-15-15

[ Edited ]

Aisha,

I did some further analysis and I see that we are generating this error on load. We purposely prevent iFrames from loading on our site. Does this prevent us from loading Optimizely?

Load denied by X-Frame-Options: http://www.stage3.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com/buffalo-bills-tickets/?optimizely_disable=true&op... does not permit cross-origin framing.

Further research on these Community pages led me to this URL, https://community.optimizely.com/t5/Using-Optimizely/X-frame-options-not-allowing-page-loading-in-ed... which contains a Chrome extension that allows you to bypass the iframe restriction. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

Level 2