Rich-text Reply

Can you target specific iPhone models, like iPhone6 only?

Loui 09-23-16

Can you target specific iPhone models, like iPhone6 only?

Hey Guys!

I'm trying to do a splittest for a fixed CTA that will follow when you scroll down on mobile.

The position varies though depending on screen size, so I would like to test it on only one device model like for example iPhone5 or iPhone6, but as far as I can tell you can only target iPhones in general?

Is it possible somehow to target it to a specific model?

Thanks,

Loui

Level 2

inigam 09-23-16

Re: Can you target specific iPhone models, like iPhone6 only?

I would be happy to learn otherwise, but I believe it is not possible by usual means.
Although, if you have other data sources then you can do it.

Regards,
IN

Level 6
jongaulding 09-27-16

Hey @Loui and @inigam! I believe you could achieve this with an audience combining the "device" condition mentioned ("Device is iPhone") with a custom JavaScript condition targeting the screen dimensions of the specific model you're interested in, using `window.screen.width` and `window.screen.height` (documented here).

I haven't tested this in an actual audience, but I created an illustrative fiddle at https://jsfiddle.net/zy8x94st/. You can use Chrome's device mode to test out this targeting strategy (see attached screenshots). I also tested this on my test iPhone 5c.

The code for the specific custom JavaScript condition would be something like (for iPhone 6) `window.screen.width === 375 && window.screen.height === 667`.

Note that an iPhone 6 using the Zoomed display will look like an iPhone 5 for this targeting, and similarly an iPhone 6 Plus using the Zoomed display will look like an iPhone 6. But I think that's fine if you're just trying to ensure your experiment only targets the resolution it was built for.

Hope that helps!

~Jon

iPhone 5 simulation.png
iPhone 6 Plus simulation.png
iPhone 6 simulation.png
inigam 09-27-16

Thanks Jon, Great thinking.

I guess the only thing, as a precaution, is to QA the test thoroughly, so as to remove the edge cases when it would bucket users to wrong phone.

Cheers
Regards,
IN

Level 6
jongaulding 09-27-16

Definitely thorough QA would be in order. I'd guess it would be the case, however, that the variation will appear the same on a Zoomed iPhone 6 as on an iPhone 5, since the effective screen dimensions are the same.