Rich-text Reply

Change default items per page on initial page load

mstrong 09-14-16

Change default items per page on initial page load

Anybody have a good idea or two on executing this?  On category pages (for example, http://www.yankeecandle.com/browse/candles/tumbler-candles/_/N-9yj), our default items per page is 10.  We would like to test a change to make 25 the default, hopefully without causing the flicker of a page reload.  First thought was to try a redirect experiment, but I fear the server load and the potential for an infinite loop, or a bad experience if, for example, you go to a bigger category and change to 50 items per page.  It seems like there should be a way to do this, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Level 2

inigam 09-14-16

Re: Change default items per page on initial page load

[ Edited ]

Hi

Pretty similar thing I did recently (added a price filter).
The idea was to display all the product and then use a dropdown to filter out the products/items.

I could see you have UL, so if you set the items max 75, then you can conditionally add a new class to LIs with display:none (or hide() ) which are more than nth value, n= 25, 50 in your case.

That will not give you flickers and would be a fluid experience, to go over the top you later look at some animation as well.

Try that and let me know

Regards,
IN

Level 6
CouchPsycho 09-14-16

Re: Change default items per page on initial page load

Hi,

sorry to say that, but this way will have an influence on paging. If you put 75 to page 1 with 50 visible, items 51-75 must also be on page two, otherwise they will never be visible.

Since there is an parameter ppNr available you should probably follow your redirect idea. If flickering happens, only on page one.

If the page flashes, have a look at this article:
https://help.optimizely.com/Build_Experiments/Force_variation_code_or_Experiment_JavaScript_to_execu...

To prevent infinite loops, have a look at your targeting conditions :-)

Kind regards

Michael

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)