Rich-text Reply

Changing the "Interactive Mode" to "edit mode" failed

Schimpke 06-25-14

Changing the "Interactive Mode" to "edit mode" failed

Hello,

I'm trying to test the register page of my e-commerce shop. I want to test the guest login and therefore I used the "interactive mode", because I don't have own urls for the different steps of the registration. I went back to "editing mode" and now I can't edit the variations. It seems as if I'm still in the interactive mode.

Do you have any idea what I have done wrong?

Level 2

AdamA 06-25-14

Re: Changing the "Interactive Mode" to "edit mode" failed

[ Edited ]

Hello, happy to help!

It sounds from your description like you may have used Interactive Mode to navigate off of your page onto a new page? If you do that, then you will not be able to edit the new page. Interactive Mode is designed for working with interactive elements on the current page you've loaded into the Editor (like a drop-down menu).

For more on Interactive mode, check out our Visual Editor article. If you can send over the URL for your registration flow, I would be happy to take a look for you. 

Let us know if that helps or if you have any other questions!

Optimizely
Amanda 06-25-14

Hi @Schimpke - 

If I am understanding your question correctly, your registration flow is a series of pages that all exist on the same URL - correct? If that's the case, then there are couple of ways you can use the editor to make changes to a page that exists a few steps downt he funnel

1. If the state of the flow is based on a cookie or based session specific information, then you can follow the steps outlined here to load the page in the correct state. A good way to confirm whether the steps are based on session specific information is to view the URL in a browser tab, fill out step one so you're on step 2. Copy the URL and paste it into a new tab. If you still see step 2, then this can be replicated within the editor as mentioned above. If you get kicked back to step 1, see #2 below
  2. If each section of the registration funnel is based on an action on a prior page, it can be tricky to get steps down the funnel into the editor effectively. The best way to do this is to create a static version of the step page to load into the editor. The page in the editor is just a template to make changes, while targeting defines where your experiment runs live. 

Finally, you are definitely want to take a look at our documentation on manual activation (if you haven't already). Typical URL targeting doesn't work well for single page apps since the URL stays the same. Manual activation allows you to execute the experiment an an event of your choosing. 

Does this help clear things up for you? 

Optimizely
Schimpke 06-26-14

Hello,

thank you for the reply.

I think we have to use static pages for our checkout with different urls to use optimizely correct.

Level 2