Rich-text Reply

Click Goal and Pageview Goal: Should / Can I Combine Them?

moey 06-08-15
Accepted Solution

Click Goal and Pageview Goal: Should / Can I Combine Them?

I am setting up a simple A/B test on my homepage, which has a clickable main hero image. Here are the variations:

1. Original
  2. Variation #1: Uses a different hero image. Everything else stays the same as the Original.

The hero images on Original and Variation #1 point to the same destination page (say, page-A).

The motiviation / idea behind this A/B test is to measure which hero image is more "effective," that is, gets more clicks that leads to page-A.

I had set 2 goals:

1. Click goal: when you click at the hero image.
  2. Pageview goal: when page-A is visited.

I found out that the pageview goal was incremented when this flow happened: go to the homepage, then manually type in the page-A's URL on the browser's address bar. The click goal as expected was not, because I did not click on the hero image.

My question is: can / should I "combine" those 2 goals? Essentially, I'm only interested in when page-A is visited by users who clicked on the hero image; not when it was visited using a different avenue (e.g. manually typing the URL, clicking on a different homepage element that leads to page-A, etc.).

Am I thinking in the right direction on how to set this up?

Level 2

Re: Click Goal and Pageview Goal: Should / Can I Combine Them?

[ Edited ]

If it's common for users to reach page-A by typing it in or from any other source then I'd just stick with the click goal on the hero image. Your goal is to see which hero image drives the most traffic to the next page, right? The click goal on the hero image gives you that.

I would also think about putting clicktracking on other elements of the home page, especially if there are other high-value actions on the page besides the hero image. For example, maybe changing the hero image gets more people to page-A but is that at the expense of people doing other things on the page?

moey 06-08-15

Thanks, Brian.

By click-tracking on other elements, I assume you're referring to tracking them e.g. via Google Analytics on Variation #1? I mean, not via Optimizely, right?

On Variation #1, because that's the page we changed the hero on.
Level 2

I would use Optimizely for it. So your primary goal is still checking the hero image but if there are other valuable elements on the page then it's worth measuring how those elements are impacted as well. So you could set up other goals in Optimizely to measure how clicks change on those elements in variation #1 compared to the original.
moey 06-08-15

I think I started to get the picture. I'd set a new click goal on a different element (e.g. _element-A_) on Variation #1 although that _element-A_ is identical on both Original and Variation #1. The idea is to secondly compare the # of clicks on _element-A_ due to the hero image change.
Level 2

You got it. You're just trying to get more information about what's happening on the page and whether changing the hero image impacts other elements on the page. Setting up a click goal on element-A will allow you to see whether there was a substantive increase/decrease on clicks to that element compared to the original. So let's say you see a 20% increase in clicks on the hero image with Variation #1 but a 30% decrease in clicks on element-A. Is that okay? Is the increase on the hero image worth the decrease in other activity? By adding more goals you can get a clearer picture of the impact this one change makes to your page.
moey 06-08-15

That's a smart idea! After thinking a little bit more, it's really "harmless" to include additional click goals for this type of further investigation.

Super thanks -- your thread not only gave an answer to my question but also some other insights. Love it.
Level 2

Great! Glad to help.