Rich-text Reply

Click Goals Question

mminshew 05-11-16
Accepted Solution

Click Goals Question

Hello,

This is my first question and i'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers. We are in the middle implementing and starting our first test and are wanting to run a few a/a tests to set benchmarks. Our home page consists of a 3-4 slide hero carousel and about 10-12 category/promo elements. We would like to set a click goal test for each of the elements individually to measure click through and check against our analytics programs.

My questions are these, if I set one click goal with multi elements is it going to sum those into 1 click goal total or will it break the elements down into individual clicks automatically. Secondary question is if I have too setup multi click goals is there a limit or a point where the application gets overwhelmed, is it possible to just set a click goal for each element for the experiment or would it be better to set up multiple experiments on the same page and break the element click goals into segments i.e. 1/3 of the elements per test? Thanks in advance for any insight. 

Michael Minshew,
Learning something new every day.

Level 4

JasonDahlin 05-11-16

Re: Click Goals Question

@mminshew - A Goal is either "met" or "not met".  No matter how many times you meet the goal, you are only one user and will show up in the dashboard as only one conversion (conversions are users which achieved the goal, not the number of times that each user in the test group met the goal).

I have not run into any performance issues setting up lots of click-event bindings.  Performance impact doesn't come from assigning the click-event bindings or the fact that they exist - the performance implications come from how you search the DOM tree to set up the bindings. SitePoint has a great overview of jQuery selectors efficiency.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero
mminshew 05-11-16

Re: Click Goals Question

@JasonDahlin That makes sense and answers my question. Thank you for the quick reply, that really helps. 

Michael Minshew,
Learning something new every day.

Level 4