Rich-text Reply

Click events on a redirect variation in Optimizely X

Kristen_S 02-16-17
Accepted Solution

Click events on a redirect variation in Optimizely X

I'm new to using Optimizely X, so bear with me.

I'm trying to set up a new home page experiment in Optimizely X, where the variation is a redirect to a different url. I need to track clicks on an element that is the same on both pages. However, when I added the click event metric to the experiment, it was not tracking any clicks on the variation. It appears that it's only "tied to" the original home page, and not the variation.

I created a new "Page" (called it Home - test) for the other version of the homepage I'm testing, and then created a click event for it - basically set it up exactly as the click event for the other Home page since it's the same element id - and added the test page, Home - test, and the new click event metric to the experiment. So now this experiment is running on these two "Pages", and with two metrics. Now it's tracking clicks on the Original home page in one metric, and clicks on the Variation home page as a separate metric.

I guess I'm wondering if this was the right approach? I was looking in the Knowlege Base, and this article talks about redirect experiments, but when it comes to tracking clicks it says to "Use goal targeting to track clicks on the redirected variation" but the link is to an article for Optimizely Classic, so that's not very helpful.

"Ease of use may be invisible, but its absence sure isn't." - IBM
Jason-GSell 02-17-17

Re: Click events on a redirect variation in Optimizely X

Hi Kristen, thanks for your question! This is indeed somewhat unintuitive at first. I'll pass that along to our product team.

In this case, you would want to create a single Page that targets both the original and redirect URL's. You can do that by simply clicking the plus sign in the Page set-up flow to target multiple URL's at once. You would then create the click event on that Page targeting both URL's.

Now you'll have one metric that captures clicks on both pages.

With your current setup, you would have two metrics side-by-side, but Optimizely would not calculate the difference between them or if it is statistically significant.

Let me know if that helps! And if that solves it for you, please mark this as the solution so others can see too Smiley Happy
If this solved your question, please accept it as a solution!
Optimizely
Kristen_S 02-17-17

Re: Click events on a redirect variation in Optimizely X

That has done the trick! Thank you Smiley Happy
"Ease of use may be invisible, but its absence sure isn't." - IBM