Rich-text Reply

Click goals on a Variation #1 page

AmyB 09-24-14

Click goals on a Variation #1 page

Hi,

I'm trying to create a click goal on a Variation #1 page, where the Variation #1 page has elements that don't appear on the Original page.

I am unable to view the Variation #1 page in any screen that will enable me to select elements.

I am able to create click goals on the Original page.

I have read and not learned how to accomplish this task with article https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039905 . The instructions tell me to go to tools and screens that don't appear in my experiement.

Can you advise?

Thanks,

Amy

Level 2

Amanda 09-25-14

Re: Click goals on a Variation #1 page

@AmyB - question for you: Is your experiement a redirect test where your variation is an entirely separate page? Or, did you create a new element using the editor for your variation?

Happy to help provide details on how to best do this. 

Optimizely
AmyB 09-25-14

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for responding! 

It's an entirely separate and different page -- I'm testing two different page layouts.

Thanks,

Amy

Level 2
AdamA 09-25-14

Hi Amy,

When you open up the goals menu (the flag icon in the Editor) and create or select the click goal that you want to use, have you tried selecting "Click" as your goal type, then clicking the "Expand" button that appears?

This will expand your site preview window, and you can change the "URL used for preview below" field to your variation page's URL. From there, you should be able to see your variation (redirect) page and select the elements that you want to track.

Once you're done, click "shrink" and then open up the tray that says "Advanced." Under the "Goal Targeting" section, select "Specify custom pages on which to track this goal" and enter both your original page URL and your variation page URL with a simple match. This will make sure that the goals track on both pages.

I just walked through this process using my current version of Optimizely, so I believe it will be up-to-date for you. The only variable will be whether you can see the element on your page that you want to track. Are you able to replicate this process?

Thanks,

Adam

Optimizely
AmyB 09-25-14

Perfect, Adam. Thank you -- using your instructions I was able to (finally!) input the URL for the variation page.

Somehow I wasn't able to see where to do that at all yesterday. 

Click test is now successfully running.

Thanks!

Amy

Level 2