Rich-text Reply

Clicks per visit to a page

sarahward 05-26-16

Clicks per visit to a page

Hi, 

Apologies if this has already been asked but I could not see it anywhere.

I want to know the number total number of clicks made by visitors to a test, not just to record whether they clicked something or not. I need the average clicks per visitor to a particular page, but as far as I can work out, no matter how many times a click event is sent, it is only recorded once for each visit in the results. I have tried a custom click goal that sends a click event when a click is made anywhere in the body of the page, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

tedroddy 05-27-16

Re: Clicks per visit to a page

Hi Sarah,

Yes, unfortunately our Engagement goal only fires once per page load. If you switch Engagement to Totals vs Uniques on the results page, you'd see the number of times users click each page load. What you could do is set up a custom event for this and fire a custom event goal each time the user clicks anywhere in the page. The code snippet below is an example of how this might be achieved:

$("html").click(function(){
    Optimizely.trackEvent("user_clicked_anywhere");
});

I would recommend having a developer on your end implement this code on your site. After that, you can track user_clicked_anywhere as a custom event goal. Switching that to Totals on the results page would show you the metric you wish to measure.

Best,
Ted
Optimizely