Rich-text Reply

Configuring an Experiment to Only Show on the Landing Page

aplewes 10-14-15
Accepted Solution

Configuring an Experiment to Only Show on the Landing Page

Does anyone have any guidance on how to create an audience or configure a segment to show the experiment only on the user's first visit to the site? 

The use case - I'm using Optimizely for a localization catch to detect the country the user is in, and if they are not US, giving them options to go to a localized site for their country/language. Thus, I don't want this experiment on every page, but I do want it on the first page of their visit. 

Thanks for the help! 

Level 2

JDahlinANF 10-14-15

Re: Configuring an Experiment to Only Show on the Landing Page

Create a custom audience that looks for the absence of a certain cookie.

For example, on the user's first page hit, our SiteCatalyst code creates a cookie named "s_vi".

So... I can create a Custom Audience that returns "true" only if that cookie does not exist.

That way the user is in this audience only on their first ever page hit.

If they refresh the page or return before the cookie expires, they will fail the test and will not see the experiment.

To do this:

1- From your dashboard, click "New Audience"

2- In the right-nav listing, under "Standard", select "Cookie" (drag that element to the left.

3- Change it to say "Visitor [does not have] any of these cookies"

4- Enter the cookie name that you are using to exclude users from the experiment.

5- Add this Custom Audience to your experiment

(you should probably also add "Location [is not] in United States" to this audience)

If you are not aware of any cookies that are created by your site that you can use, and are not averse to creating a cookie yourself... in each variation of the experiment, add some code that creates a cookie and use that cookie as the exclusionary rule in your Custom Audience.

aplewes 10-15-15

This is just what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Level 2

Hello,

Proposed solution does works for new users landing to specific page, but when this scenario occurs:

Landing to page1 > navigated to page 2 > navigate back to page1

Variation changes are not applied, which means that users has different experience on the same page.

Do you have a solution for this?