Rich-text Reply

Creating audience based on adwords campaigns with auto tagging

Samira 09-11-14

Creating audience based on adwords campaigns with auto tagging

I'm trying to create an audience based on an adwords campaign. I work on a platinum account so the option is available. Within Adwords we use auto tagging. When auto tagging is turned on what name do I have to fill in the campaign value? I've tried to use the same name as I use by my Facebook ads which are target with an manual UTM code, but it doesn't work. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks! 

Level 1

Re: Creating audience based on adwords campaigns with auto tagging

Hi Samira,

I ran into this same problem last year! We were using "utm" but not getting the segmentation that we expected.

What worked for me was changing the parameter from utm to "gclid" and/or "aclk".

You might want to try that and see if that fixes the issue for you.

Happy Testing!

Keith 

Keith Lovgren

whelan 09-11-14

Hi Samira,

This is a great question and I'll be happy to clarify some best practices.  

Our Audience conditions for "Campaign" and "Query Parameters" read the parameters from the URL of the visitor as string values.  The "gclid" value is an encryption that only Google Analytics can decode and read.  Targeting a "gclid" parameter will allow you to target only visitors who clicked on any Adwords campaign, but not a specific campaign.  

When using Manual tagging in Adwords, you'll notice that the visitor's URL will include several utm query parameters.  Because these generally contain words like the campaign name or source type, our Audience feature can read them as a string and you can target visitors who clicked on a particular campaign.

Using auto-tagging ("gclid") provides Google Analytics with more data on the visitor than using the utm parameters in Manual tagging does.  To get the best of both worlds - more data in GA as well as Audience targeting capability in Optimizely - you can use a combination of the two.  This article will provide a bit more background on using the various tagging methods with our Audience feature.  It also links to this Google support doc describing how to set up a combination of Auto and Manual tags in your Adwords campaigns.

Cheers!

Whelan

Optimizely

HI Samira,

Did you mange to achieve this? I am reluctanct to move away from auto-tagging but would be ideal if we could achieve this type of targeting. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ryan