Rich-text Reply

Creating audience based on previous page URL

JoeMoney 12-02-16

Creating audience based on previous page URL

Greetings,

I have been looking through documentation and community posts in order to wrap my head around what I thought would be a simple audience setup.

My intent is to target new account signups on their first visit to our dashboard, based on the URL that sent them there. My first instinct was to use the referrer condition, but that seems to be focused on the referring site that got them to our site, not the URL of the last page in our sign-up flow.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

Level 2

robertchan 12-02-16

Re: Creating audience based on previous page URL

You can use cookies and place them on new visitors to target them. Use the condition that if a user does not have certain cookies, hit them with one.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
JoeMoney 12-02-16

What I was trying to work out just now, was to add a custom javascript condition into the audience to identify the previous page using window.document.referrer.
Level 2
JasonDahlin 12-06-16

Reading the description, you should be able to use "Referrer URL".  However, all of the examples they have are based on it being an external URL (and the comment "[other network's] page immediately prior to arriving at [the] site" looks like this is indeed only for external URLs.

If you are on the Enterprise plan, you will have access to "Custom JavaScript" which you could use to write the logic by hand, perhaps like this:

(function(){
  if (document.referrer.indexOf('the/page/you/are/looking/for') > -1 {
    return true;
  }
}

Without that, however, using a cookie would be your best bet (don't forget to wipe the cookie when your code runs unless you want it to persist... but wiping it will make it so that if a user refreshes the page they will see something different when they refresh the page).

Another approach would be to run the experiment on the page you are looking for that modifies all  of the URLs to contain a specific parameter... but that could be tricky if you have forms or links that are actually inside JS functions.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero
JoeMoney 12-06-16

Well folks, it looks like the reason it is not working, is because the conditional javascript I am using is only available on enterprise plans. Since we are re-evaluating Optimizely, and trying to get a good idea of what we would gain by moving to X and what that entails, I probably won't have a final answer for a while.

It was encouraging to see a blank experiment log visitors based on that simple window.referrer javascript, but extremely frustrating to discover the reason the test was still not working was because of a switch-flip, and an upgrade path that very-well may be cost-prohibitive to continue for now.

In the end, and after so much burnt time spent tracking down the reason for the mixed signals from the results windows, both of these answers look like they are thoughtful and correct. Thanks for the support!
Level 2