Rich-text Reply

Custom Event Goals and URL Targeting

MeganBush 12-09-14
Accepted Solution

Custom Event Goals and URL Targeting

I would like to track custom event goals on my order success page, without running the actual experiment on my order success page.

I know Optimizely tracks revenue using a custom even goal, and I don't have to have my experiment running on the order success page to retrieve the data.

However, in the knowledge base I read

"Adding a custom event to the Experiment JavaScript will only work if the experiment is active on the page in question."

source: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039925-Custom-event-goals

Has anyone tried setting up different custom event goals and do they track if they are setup on aURL that is not part of the URL targeting conditions (though the snippet is still on the page)?

Thanks!

Megan Bush
Joel_Balmer 12-09-14

Re: Custom Event Goals and URL Targeting

Hi Megan,

Yes you can fire a custom event goal on a page where the experiment isn't running, but you have to have been bucketed into that experiment already, and you have to have the snippet on the page. If the API call is now made, Optimizely reads the optimizelyBuckets cookie to see if the event name matches any from those experiments in the cookie.
MeganBush 12-09-14

Re: Custom Event Goals and URL Targeting

Joel, that's great news - thanks for sharing!

Megan Bush