Rich-text Reply

Definition of engagement

timlb2 04-29-15
Accepted Solution

Definition of engagement

I've been trying to find a definition of engagement.

Even the very-useful

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039935-Results-Page-Interpreting-experiment-results...

is slightly ambiguous.

"Engagement is the percentage of visitors who clicked any link or submitted any form while viewing a page on which this experiment was running."

I'm assuming that the word 'link' is significant and that in the mobile context touching to scroll would not count as engagement.

Is that correct, please?

Even is I am correct, I think it would be useful to be explicit that scrolling (on any device) does not count as engagement in Optimizely experiments. In other contexts scrolling might indeed be considered as a sign of engagement.

Level 2

tomfuertes 04-29-15

Re: Definition of engagement

The engagement goal actually fires anytime you click anywhere in the page (link or not) OR submits a form via enter key. I just confirmed via the network tab in our playground, but feel free to play around there as well!

http://rawgit.com/clearhead/playground/master/optimizely-dimensions/one.html

-Tom
- Tom Fuertes | CTO @ CROmetrics

tomfuertes 04-29-15

Followup: Scrolling did not fire the engagement goal*
- Tom Fuertes | CTO @ CROmetrics

timlb2 04-29-15

Thanks, Tom. This is very interesting. I'm very keen to understand what does and does not trigger the engagement goal on touch screen devices. I'm still trying to get my head round this.
Level 2
Ehsan 04-29-15

Hi Tim,

There are four main TouchEvent types as laid out in this well documented article from Mozilla

1. touchstart
  2. touchend
  3. touchmove
  4. touchcancel

Optimizely uses the first, touchstart, to log engagement on a mobile device.  Engagment will not capture touchend, touchmove (scrolling), or touchcancel. 

Optimizely