Rich-text Reply

Differences in traffic numbers

C_h_Coenders 05-23-16

Differences in traffic numbers

Hi,

I have a puzzle...

I'm running an A/B test on my index page of my site. It has three buttons which lead a visitor to a registration form. All three buttons are the same click goal. One would expect that the number of unique visitors that clicked on one of the buttons, would make up the number of unique visitors on the registrations form.

It happens to be that a second experiment is running on the registration form but is meassuring a lot more unique visitors. So that could mean the registration form has another source. Checked that in GA; that is not the case. Maybe the index experiment is not tracking right; checked that but all three buttons are firing on the click goal.

Where are the unique visitors on the registration form coming from? Or is the index experiment not tracking all conversions on the click goal?

Anyone have an idea?

Best,

Christof

Re: Differences in traffic numbers

Hi Chris,

Are there any other links on the site that are pointing to the registration form pages? Also ,have you tried pausing the second experiment for a day or so to see if the numbers even out? Also, are you excluding any internal IPs to remove your office traffic from the experiment?

-Joey
-Joey Herzberg

Hi Joey,

Thanks for helping out.

There are no other links that are point to the registration page. I've checked that in the site structure and Google Analytics, in case it could be an external source.

The internal IP's are removed, so that's not it either.

I don't quite understand the path of pausing the experiment. What is the effect of that?

Best,

Christof

I was just suggesting that pausing the experiment might allow you some time to stop traffic to the page until you can identify the source of the traffic. Did you also check in the acquisition tab in GA and filter down to that form page to see the source of the traffic? Also do you have the GA integration setup with Optimizley?
-Joey Herzberg