Rich-text Reply

Different click goals for variation and original

jklaiber 06-07-16

Different click goals for variation and original

Dear Optimizely Experts

I am new to this tool and in the process of creating my first experiment. I want to test buttoncolours against each other on my cart-page. So I created a variation of the cart-page with a different colour than the original. 

Now I created two click goals as well: Click goal for the grey button (original) and click goal for the green button (variation). 

When I now preview my experiment everytime I click on the respective button three goals are tracked: 1 the one with the grey button, 2 the one with the green button, 3 an engagement goal. 

Is there a way to change this? I want the click goal with the grey button only to be tracked when the original page is used and the one with the green button only when the variation is used by the visitors. 

Thanks for your advice!

Best

Johannes

Level 2

CouchPsycho 06-07-16

Re: Different click goals for variation and original

Does this make sense? You are about to compare apples and bananas. The only thing, that changes, is the color of the button. As long as the class or the id of the button remains the same, your click goal remains the same.

Viele Grüße / Kind regards

Michael

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
jklaiber 06-07-16

Hi Michael

So you mean in general there should be one click goal per button? Maybe its just that I haven't understood click goals in the right way...
Level 2
CouchPsycho 06-07-16

Exactly,

want you are doing is to test the impact of the color on the click rate of a button. You vary the button, you are not placing two buttons. You want to know under which color-condition this button is clicked "better".

So your goal is "button clicked" and you compare your goal in different color-settings. By only having this one goal, optimizely takes care of everything within the results, even significance levels. With two buttons and therefore two goals these final calculation must have be done by you.

there is one thing to mention, one goal can refer to different clicks ( they are comma-seperated selectors in the gui), so one might have to buttons and only one is visible. But from my point of view this is on one hand disturbing on the other "bad style" :-)

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
jklaiber 06-07-16

Thank you for the response! And that you mentioned the reports in the end. Thats what I was thinking about when I created the two different click goals. But now I see that luckily this isn't necessary.
Level 2