Rich-text Reply

DimensionValue

dustinshey 02-15-16

DimensionValue

So, I followed the doc on which you direct the user to create a custom dimension, but I feel that something that is overlooked is the 'dimensionvalue' which Google asks a user to change before adding it to their UA code. I'm going to be testing 3 different pages, and have set up my custom dimensions, but what should my value(s) be in order for this to work correctly with Optimizely? 

My Custom Dimension = Optimizely Experiments - but I have no clue what to give for values inside of the snippet here. 

var dimensionValue = 'SOME_DIMENSION_VALUE';
ga('set', 'dimension4', dimensionValue);

Can someone help? 

Marketing stuff @ Launchkit.io
We build cool tools for mobile app developers
Allison 02-16-16

Re: DimensionValue

Hi @dustinshey! Which doc did you look at? Looking at this article, https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200040865-Dimensions-Capture-visitor-data-through-the-... the value should be the specific segment your audience should be in. So if "dimension4" is "favorite food", the dimensionvalue would be "hamburgers" for example. Does that help?
Optimizely
dustinshey 02-16-16

Thanks Allison - that doc is for Optimizely dimensions, not Google Analytics dimensions. We've got it figured out on our end. This is the doc I was referencing - https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039995

Last thing, in the Custom Report section... #4 references you need to ad a Experiment ID from Optimizely in a Filter inside of GA to match the Regex (Regular Expression) so in the Custom report, you only see the data that is a part of the Custom Dimension. However, there's no ID # provided inside of Optimizely, so I have no idea what to add in here.
Marketing stuff @ Launchkit.io
We build cool tools for mobile app developers
Spike 03-03-16

Hi, we are having the same confusion - What did you figure out to add into
ga('set', 'dimension1', dimensionValue);

Our test is running on index 1 and we have followed all the steps in the optimizely guide but this bit is not explained......
Level 2
robertchan 03-03-16

Hi Dustin, the ID is provided inside Optimizely. Click on the experiment you're working on and look at the URL when your experiment's selected - the ID's the number at the end of the URL.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
robertchan 03-03-16

As @Allison had explained, the value should be the specific segment your audience should be in. You'll need to input this value into your experiment as well as filter within your custom report as @dustinshey had mentioned. Please refer to the screenshot I've attached here for a sample of setting up your custom report. The filter is set to filter by your dimension.

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 10.23.15 AM.png

Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
Spike 03-03-16

Hi, so in the screen shot you are showing, what would the following custom dimension code change to?:

ga('set', 'dimension1', dimensionValue);

Level 2
robertchan 03-03-16

The SOME_DIMENSION_VALUE equals whatever you want to set it to in your GA admin panel where you set a custom dimension. You then use that value in my screenshot and place it in the Dimension Drilldowns and Regex Filters.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
Spike 03-03-16

Ok, last question on this (hopefully!)

We have not taken the SOME_DIMENSION_VALUE code and passed it back into Google Analytics but we are now getting data in our custom report that seems to be accurate between the variation and the original. Are we missing something or do we not specifically have to do anything with the custom dimension code that google gives you and tells you to change?

Colin

Level 2
robertchan 03-03-16

There's nothing to pass back, you would just be pasting your custom dimension snippet to the pages you'd like to have it on, just make sure you're measuring your scope as a session and you should be good to go.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
Spike 03-03-16

Ok, apologies on this - Totally missed the important section in the help guide saying this wasnt needed!
Thanks for all your help!
Level 2
robertchan 03-03-16

Anytime!
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero