Rich-text Reply

Does Optimizely store events of pageview that are not set as any goal?

Tammy 03-11-16
Accepted Solution

Does Optimizely store events of pageview that are not set as any goal?

Hello,

I found pageview events fire even where we are not set as pageview goal.

For instance),

URL target setting:A.html & B.html. 

A.html : Set as a pageview goal.

B.html : Not set as nything.

But I saw an pageview event fires when I access to B.html by Chrome F12 tool's network tab, event looks like event?~~~~ &n= B.html

So I am wondering whether Optimizely stores such pageview events even without setting as goals in its server or somewhere.

If so, is there any way for me to take a look at the pageview events Optimizely stored?

Reason why I'm asking this is because I faild to set up URL targeting, then now I have a result with noise data, so I'm searching the way I can divide the pageviews I really needed from the data now I have somehow...

So, if I recap, my questions are 2 below,

1. Does Optimizely store pageview events in its server even if the events are not set as any goal?

2. If the answer for #1 is Yes, is there any way for me to take a look at the events Optimizely stored?

Thank you,

Tamie

Tamie
Level 6

Lyndsey 03-12-16

Re: Does Optimizely store events of pageview that are not set as any goal?

Hi Tamie,

Optimizely does not store data for any pageviews or other conversion types unless specified to do so as an experiment goal.

The pageview goal you are likely seeing is attributed to the experiment that is tracking the goal. The n parameter for a goal is the goal name, and for a pageview goal that is always the url. The x parameter points to the experiments for which the goal is tracking.

Here's more information on understanding the parameters within the network traffic for Optimizely events:
https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200063579-Troubleshooting-Goals-don-t-track-correctly#...

Thanks,
Lyndsey
Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely
Optimizely

If you request raw experiment data from Optimizely, you'll see that it does in fact track pageview events for any page the Optimizely snippet is installed on and associates that with each end user id (has helped me do a lot of more advanced reporting that's not possible using the main reporting dashboard).
Growth & optimization pro focused on SaaS
Tammy 03-14-16

[ Edited ]

@Lyndsey

Thank you for your reply.

Got it, it's good for me to know Optimizely doesn't store pageviews information if they are not specified as goals.

Thank you!

Tamie
Level 6
Tammy 03-14-16

@mikefiorillo

Thank you for your reply!
Yes, I do always see events for any page the Optimizely snippet is installed fire even though they are not set as any goal.
Your comment gave me a great hint, I'll try to think about the things I can do.

I really appreciate!
Tamie
Level 6