Rich-text Reply

Editing Page That Requires a Log In and has Dynamic Elements

Lumo 10-16-14

Editing Page That Requires a Log In and has Dynamic Elements

[ Edited ]

Hey guys

So I am wanting to test a page on our site, but the only way people are able to see it is if they have logged in. The URL is the same for everyone but the ymight have unique infpormation on the page according to their account. What I am wanting to test is static for all on this page so it should show the same on all. How do I test this page if it is behind a log in? Just use the URL?

Level 1

Amanda 10-16-14

Re: Editing Page That Requires a Log In

This is a great question. Just to confirm that I am understanding your question correctly:

• You want to run an experiment on a page behind a login
  • This page has dynamic information that is unique to the single user's account
  • You only want to test information that is static (not the dynamic pieces)

Is that correct? 

If so, you can follow the steps below: 

• Login to your own account & copy the URL of the page you want to test
  • Open the Optimizely editor in a new tab and add the URL you copied from bullet 1 above. Check out the article here for more information on this. 
  • This will load the version of the page that's unique to your account. Make the changes as needed to the static elements on this page
  • In your URL targeting settings, make sure your experiment is targeted to the right group of pages. Now, the changes you made in the editor will appear on all pages that meet the targeting conditions, regardless of who the user is that is logged in. 

Does this help clear things up for you? Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Optimizely
greg 10-22-14

Re: Editing Page That Requires a Log In and has Dynamic Elements

In case you meant that you want to only run this test for logged in users, and you're wondering how to only include logged in users if the URL is the same:

You can do this in a few ways:

- Create an audience segment that checks for a user cookie (or value), or some javascript variable unique to logged in users.
- Make it a manually activated test, and only start the test if your page has determined the user to be logged in.
Level 2