Rich-text Reply

Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

DoubleD 08-24-15

Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

Hello

 

I have been running optimizely fairly successfully for the last few months with only one or two minor nuances.

 

The biggest issue I have is when I set my audience to be only direct traffic and Search (which by default exclues Adwords) I am still getting paid traffic to the experiment.  I have tried adding an exclude statement to the audience segment to exclude "campaign" and it is still allowing it to show for paid. 

 

Are there any tips out there on this?   Paid isn't a channel I need to test as it allows me full control of where people go, I need more control over organic search and direct in order to properly test components.

 

thanks everyone

 

Level 2

MartijnSch 08-25-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

Hey,

How about using the paramater GCLID as the check for this. It's always send in case you're receiving traffic from Google Adwords and could help you out with making sure that you're able to run tests on this segment of users.
DoubleD 08-25-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

Hi Martijnsch:

Thanks you for that, so I thought about that but can you just use GCLID only without any parameters? We have well over 100 campaigns and I can't put them all in. If I can use it as a generic catch all that would be great.
Level 2
DoubleD 08-26-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

Hi again, any chane you can reply to what I stated yesterday?  All of my stuff has to remain paused until I can exclude all paid campaign traffic.  The glcid would have to be a referral url correct? Since you cant' add any parameters to Source fields.  

Level 2
MartijnSch 08-27-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

What you would have to do is just check it the gclid parameter is there. The value of it doesn't matter because that will be different from every click. But as far as I know this is the parameter that is always send with the request of a user so your Web site could easily recognize Adwords traffic.

DoubleD 08-27-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

MartijnSch

 

Hey there, thanks for getting back to me.  I totally understand what you are saying and the theory behind it but am wondering how you do that? What filter do you use?   I am using the free version of Optimzely so may be more limited.  

 

If I use the source filter there is now here to add additional parameters, if i use the referring url (which i don't think will work) the glcid is attached to my own domain. 

 

Does that make sense?  I have read all over this forum for how to get that setup but haven't found an answer to this specific question...

 

Thanks again for being so quick

Level 2
DoubleD 08-27-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

MartijnSch

 

Hey there, thanks for getting back to me.  I totally understand what you are saying and the theory behind it but am wondering how you do that? What filter do you use?   I am using the free version of Optimzely so may be more limited.  

 

If I use the source filter there is now here to add additional parameters, if i use the referring url (which i don't think will work) the glcid is attached to my own domain. 

 

Or is it the query parameters audience filter and I just use ?glcid there?  Maybe that is what I am missing

 

Does that make sense?  I have read all over this forum for how to get that setup but haven't found an answer to this specific question...

 

Thanks again for being so quick

Level 2
MartijnSch 08-27-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

I'm not very familiar with the different features in the pricing plans. But I would look into the options that are described in this help article. It describes on how to segment your users based on parameters: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200107480-Force-a-specific-variation-to-run-and-other-...
DoubleD 08-28-15
 

Re: Excluding Campaign Traffic Filter Not Working

Thanks M

This article actually has nothing to do with what I am trying to accomplish. The filters in Optimizely just don't work as they state and at this point I will look into another solution to do what I am trying to do. It's pretty basic really. I did add the filter to look for glcid in the referring url and campaign source and set it "does not come from" so that it would filter it out and it actually made things worse, all traffic to the site no matter how the visitor got there was force into the experiment.

Thanks again for trying to help, this seems to be an issue with optimizely in general.
Level 2