Rich-text Reply

Excluding dynamic pages without URL distinction: is this possible?

Florus 08-16-16
Accepted Solution

Excluding dynamic pages without URL distinction: is this possible?

After reading many great Optiverse articles, I hope you can help me with the following as well:

I am trying to exclude a certain set of pages in my experiment. The experiment as a whole targets dynamic URL's behind an account wall. This is all working perfectly.

The pages that need to be excluded partly have different content. Whereas on the inclusion pages visitors have two options to choose from, on the exclusion pages there is only one option. This is shown based on the earlier path that the visitor took.. As this biases my experiment, I need to exclude them. The issue is, that the URL has the same (dynamic) structure as the inclusion URL's. 

I guess my question is: how could I exclude these visitors from the experiment/my results?

I haven't found any documentation on this issue yet, and hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I hope my question makes sense! Thanks in advance for some insight!

Level 2

chrisgoward 08-16-16

Re: Excluding dynamic pages without URL distinction: is this possible?

Hi Florus,

I believe what you are looking for is conditional/manual experiment activation. This allows you to trigger whether the experiment codes much more dynamically than the standard URL options.

This article should be able to point you in the right direction. 

--
Learn more: http://www.widerfunnel.com/blog
JasonDahlin 08-16-16

The problem with using conditional activation is that once activated the user would still qualify on subsequent pages where OP does not want the experiment to run.

So though you could use conditional activation as a gateway to keep some users out of the experiment, if a user might hit two pages that qualify by URL targeting but the experiment should only run on one of those pages, then the variation code itself needs to be smart enough to fire only when the page meets certain criteria, not just the URLs meeting criteria.

If this is not possible, then yes - manual activation could be the way to go.

If not, segments/dimensions would be an approach to cinsider.

For this, you would add code to the exclusion pages that add a user to a segment/dimension and then you could select "not Dimension X" (or, add code that runs on the "inclusion pages" that places the users into a segment when they are on an "inclusion" page and run the resutls for only users in that segment).

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Florus 08-17-16

Hey Chris, Jason,

Thank you for your quick replies. I found a fairly easy solution to the issue, different from your solutions:
Because Optimizely makes it possible to target a specific audience by adding custom Javascipt, I was able to target only the audience that sees the two options by excluding the audience that's only offered a single option.

What we did was as follows:
1. Add JS code in experiment audience with 'Custom javascript' : "hasMultipleChoices === true"
2. Add same JS code in our DOM, which tells optimizely when there is a single option or multiple options.

We just set it live. I'll report back if it's not working.

Thanks again!

Level 2