Rich-text Reply

Experiment not firing for mobile?

jhwall 08-21-14

Experiment not firing for mobile?

Hello!

I'm running into a problem with a mobile optimized site I'm trying to test. Problem being the experiment isn't translating to the mobile site.

Here's my setup:

• I'm using GTM - which is all set up proper like. At least the desktop version is accurately reflecting.
  • To make sure I'm looking at the right variation, I have all but one paused.
  • The variation I am currently using is showing up "properly" in editing mode, but not interactive
  • The only changes I've made to the page have been hiding/removing elements from the original.

Any ideas what's going on? 

Thanks!

Level 2

Amanda 08-21-14

Re: Experiment not firing for mobile?

Can you post the URL where you expect the URL to be running? Also, can you elaborate on what you mean by "not translating to a mobile site"? Do you mean that the elements you are trying to hide are still showing up anyways (or put another way, you can't see the variation?)

Here are my suspcions:

• The snippet is not being added correctly to the mobile site somehow
  • Or, the selectors for the elements you removed on the desktop view are actually different than the mobile view
  • There is a timing issue with GTM adding the snippet too late. 

When you click interactive mode, this actually swaps the view back to the Original version of your page. If you want to see the way your experiment variation will work live, you should actually use preview mode. You might find our pre-lauch checklist valuable too. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you on the URL and details above so we can check in more detail. 

Optimizely
jhwall 08-21-14

Precisely - the page isn't changing at all now. I'm confused how that's the case as I haven't changed anything since I posted this. The hidden elements (the radio buttons and the whole "Additional Information" section are still appearing.

Here's the preview from optimizely, and here's the link itself.

According to Ghosterly, optimizely is being tracked on the site.

I've tried editing in the mobile editory as well to no avail. I started by using the visual editor, then decided to edit the HTML to get a little more fine-tuned.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Level 2
Amanda 08-21-14

Okay, here is what looks to be the issue:

• The snippet ID on the URL you referenced is 1769030287, which is associated with the "My project" project. Your experiment, however, lives in the  "My new project" which has a totally separate snippet ID
  • So, when the snippet executes on the page https://donate.vpr.net/pages/donation---sustaining-membership---donation-form-copy, it can't find an experiment with matching URL targeting conditions (because the project you expect to see lives in a different project altogether)
  • Typically we only recommend using different projects if you have different domains, or if you have a staging site for QA.
  • The preview loads your page through a proxy and injects a placeholder snippet which is why you see the changes there and not on the live page. 
  • The Solution:
  • If you can *move* your experiment from the "My new project" to "My project" and start it there, you should see the changes working. To to this, just use the duplicate functionality (see attached)
  • Alternatively, you need to update the snippet ID on the URL you referenced to match the ID in the corresponding project code.

Let me know if you are still seeing issues once you make this change!

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 2.13.52 PM.png

Optimizely
jhwall 08-22-14

Well I feel like a dummy! That explains why I was having trouble wth desktop, but mobile still isn't taking. 

I'm using the "My New Project" snippet, and seeing the changes fine on desktop, but still not on mobile.

Sorry for that hiccup, but I'm still hoping you can help me out!

Many thanks!

Level 2
Amanda 08-22-14

Sure thing. I actually just tested on my iphone 5 and it looks like it's working. This matches the preview from the editor too. Did you figure it out on your own? If so, can you tell us what you changed? 

See attached for what I'm seeing. Let me know if I can help in any additional way! 

photo.PNG

Optimizely