Rich-text Reply

Experiment that changes Site Menu urls works once then stops

adamlcasey 08-07-15
Accepted Solution

Experiment that changes Site Menu urls works once then stops

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've setup an experiment that changes the destination urls of a number of our ecommerce stores main nav bar buttons. i.e. This change effects the main menu bar which is on every page of the site except the checkout page.

My experiment targeting is:

www.mysite.com + Substring match

When I run the test and click on one of the buttons whose URL I have changed, I can see the Experiment code is working and I'm redirected to the target page. But if I click on another button in the main menu bar from this destination page the experiment has stopped working?

Is there anyway to get this to work where by once the use hit's the test variation the change is applied to the whole session rather than their first click?

JDahlinANF 08-07-15

Re: Experiment that changes Site Menu urls works once then stops

[ Edited ]

Hi @adamlcasey,

Once a user is bucketed into a variation, it sticks with them - so it will run whenever URL targeting matches.  So, if I see the changes on the first page and not on the second page, that means one of three things:

1- Optimizely is not on the second page

2- the second page does not match the URL targeting for the experiment so the experiment is not active on that page

3- if the experiment is running on the page but the code you are using to modify the page is not valid on this page.

Your URL targeting is about as global as you can get - so I doubt that is the issue, but you should double check anyway to make sure that subsequent pages match the criteria.

The second one is a bit trickier for non-coders to figure out.  If you click on the [code] button in your experiment's variation, you will see the JavaScript that was created to modify the URLs.  What might need to happen is you may need to run that code on that page but different code on different pages... If you are OK with sharing your company's URL and identify which menu links you want to modify, someone can help you work out what to do.

adamlcasey 08-17-15

Re: Experiment that changes Site Menu urls works once then stops

apologies this was a case of the url's still being set to my staging environment.