Rich-text Reply

Following customers clicking on new experiment link

jencajenca 03-02-15
Accepted Solution

Following customers clicking on new experiment link

Hi!

I am wondering how to best do the following experiment: I have a page where I am adding a link. I would like to track first of all how many people click the link (with an Optimizely click goal), and also understand how many of those who clicked the link that later made a purchase. 

There are surely different ways of solving this. One idea I had was to send to an event to the dataLayer and catch this in our normal event tag in our tag manager system. Another would be to make a special tag in the tag manager system just for this link id. But none of these ways make me be able to follow the relation between the two goals in Optimizely and this is the interface we normally use for analyzing.

Should I instead send an Optimizely event?

Best regards,

Jenny

Shaunak 03-02-15

Re: Following customers clicking on new experiment link

Hey Jenny,

I had one follow up question, when the user gets redirected to other link and makes a purchase, do you display a confirmation page or anything of that sort ?

Best,
Shaunak Mali
Solutions Architect | Optimizely 
Optimizely
jencajenca 03-10-15

Well you see, the link is only a "look inside" link for the product. I am curious if that increases the likelihood for a future purchase. So the purchase itself will happen in the same flow as a normal purchase without the link.

//J
Shaunak 03-10-15

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the clarification, the way I would suggest you do this would be through a custom event. First, when a user clicks the link, drop a cookie to track that the link was clicked. Then, if the user ends up making a purchase, on the final page,check if the cookie exists and if it does fire of the custom event to track the purchase.

Let me know if that helps.

Best,

Shaunak Mali

Solutions Architect | Optimizely 

Optimizely
jencajenca 03-11-15

Thanks, awesome solution!