Rich-text Reply

Force a certain variation for users with certain conditions

miguelm 06-15-16
Accepted Solution

Force a certain variation for users with certain conditions

Hi,

Is possible force a variation for users who meet certain conditions? For example if visitor A has queryparameter0, bucket it in the variation A, if has queryparameter1, bucket it in the Original. 

I thought about adding a custom js like,

if(window.location.href.indexOf("queryparameter=1") > o) {
/*use a code here for force de variation, the same
code which is loaded when you use the parameter ?optimizely_x98765432=1 */
}

Is this possible?

Thank you

Level 2

CouchPsycho 06-15-16

Re: Force a certain variation for users with certain conditions

A time ago i was looking for it, but haven't found anything. What i did then, to get the results were two things, -depending on your own goal:

• I created a new dimension to put users in based on query parameter. This allowed me to have seperate results for each group.
  • If also necessary, i just had one variation which modified the page based on query parameters by intensivly using Javascript.

The combination of both will satisfy your needs, if there is no option to force a variation based on query parameters.

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
miguelm 06-15-16

Re: Force a certain variation for users with certain conditions

Thanks for your answer CouchPsycho

in our case we want to compare the performance of two groups of people and use the Optimizely statistics engine to measure the differences between the two groups. I will check the data in the analytics tool.
Level 2