Rich-text Reply

Forcing a variation to run based on different url parameters

CouchPsycho 08-13-15

Forcing a variation to run based on different url parameters

Hello,

let us say you have a test including 5 variations. Some variations should only be selected in case that athe url contains specific parameters, e.g. users coming from a newsletter shall see a specific variation, those coming in from banners shall see another one and so on. Is there any option to select the variation to run within the experiment javascript?

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
ishaan 08-13-15

Re: Forcing a variation to run based on different url parameters

[ Edited ]

Try creating audience for this and having a separate experiment for each query string parameter. 

Level 2
CouchPsycho 08-13-15

....is it possible to assign variations only to specific audiences? As far as i understood, audiences are a experiment-parameter and i do not want do duplicate my experiment several times.....

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
Amanda 08-14-15

@CouchPsycho - you cannot do this with the experiment javascript because by the time the code runs, the experiment will have already started running and the user would be assigned to a variation. 

There are a couple ways you could approach this:

1)  You can use our force bucket feature and add code on your page that looks at the URL and then forces the visitor into the appropriate variation. 

2) You could use 1 variation that uses an if function to execute different sets of variation code. For example, if the URL contains "newsletter", execute these changes, if the URL contains "banner", execute these changes. 

3) You could use links from each of the locations that force visitors into a variation. Here is an answer from another discussion that describes how to do this. Specifically check out @EricF and @tobyurff's answers. If you go this route, just make sure you enable the correct javascript settings to force a variation. 

Do any of these suggestions sound like they might work @CouchPsycho ? Let me know if you want some more details on any of the above

Optimizely
igerber 08-25-15