Rich-text Reply

Getting a URL aspx path error

mavila 03-18-19
Accepted Solution

Getting a URL aspx path error

Hello, so when i go to see some pages on our website that are being tested (part of a ecomm funnel), I noticed that when I click on the button being measured (measure button click conversion), i get this on the link: myweburl/?aspxerrorpath=/BasePage.aspx

The page doesn't go to the next page. I am not sure why this is happening. It doesn't happen with the original version. Does anyone know why this is? 

facts

metric is: when button is clicked, measure total conversions.

original has original content

variation has new text with some tweaked designs and we expanded the selection where users see the button. 

the original version is working fine. if i click on the same button that is on the variation, no error.

when i click the button in the variation (on any browser) I get the aspx error path.

I have been testing these experiments for several weeks now and the results had been very positive however my additional goal was showing negative on some of them (this is part of a funnel page). I was checking the pages on a browser to see understand some of the behaviors of clients not going through with the funnel that's when I noticed I am not able to continue on the next page when i click on the button in the variation.

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated! 

Monica

~ Monica
Web SEO Analyst and
A/B Testing Coordinator
Level 3

Luis 03-21-19

Re: Getting a URL aspx path error

Hi Monica,

Thank you for sharing your query in Optiverse!

Based on your description it sounds like some functionality is broken on the variation. If you are editing HTML it would be important to check if you are targeting a parent element that contains JavaScript functionality. Overwriting an entire parent element at a higher level in the DOM tree that contains JavaScript bound to it may cause issues with its native functionality.

A similar phenomenon occurs when dynamic HTML content is injected after your JavaScript has loaded (for instance via Ajax and when events are not delegated) or when manually modifying the HTML code directly on the page (using the browser's Developer tools for example). The new content is not attached to your native JavaScript.

If this is the case, a way to correct the issue without re-writing your page native JavaScript would be to break down the desired change into multiple small changes, editing only those specific elements that differ from the original and leaving those elements with core JavaScript functionality unchanged (you can add multiple changes per variation - no need to add all changes into 1 single parent edit).

For instance, if the specific button element that contains the JavaScript functionality is not being changed as such but other elements before or after, create a new change per element to target only that specific element avoiding targeting parent elements that contain other child elements with JavaScript functionality.

The Visual Editor allows you to target the exact elements you need without having to choose a parent container which will overwrite much more than what is actually needed.

I hope this hint helps you re-organize your changes while keeping your page functionality running.

Kind regards
Luis
Optimizely Technical Support
Level 2
mavila 03-21-19

Thank you Luis. I will see if this is the case. Thank you!
~ Monica
Web SEO Analyst and
A/B Testing Coordinator
Level 3
mavila 03-26-19

Hi Luis, i am going to accept your answer as a solution even though I haven't been able to implement what you suggest. Thank you!
~ Monica
Web SEO Analyst and
A/B Testing Coordinator
Level 3