Rich-text Reply

Goals for checkout funnel

Mr-BS 06-22-16
Accepted Solution

Goals for checkout funnel

[ Edited ]

Hey,

for a checkout funnel of an e-commerce site. What are the best goals to measure conversion?

I´ve added the Total Revenue (primary) and Engagement. Are there any other goals that are a must have for this kind of Experiment?

And by the way, for Total Revenue it´s enough to add the snippet to the "thank you" page and the Revenue goal to the experiment, right?

Level 2

Re: Goals for checkout funnel

Hi,

Is this one page checkout process or there are multiple steps? If there are multiple steps, depending on the specific experiment you may need to trigger goals when users reach different stages.

For example if you test a button colour on the 1st step of the funnel, it makes more sense to measure how many people you've pushed to the next step of the funnel rather than just the final conversion.

In regards to the Total Revenue - adding the snippet to the Thank You is enough. Also, keep in mind that the goal is not de-duplicated. If user has a specific endUserID cookie and books/purchases later on, when he ends up on the thank you page, that value will still be send to your experiment data.

best,
Ivo
Performance Marketing Manager @ Blacklane
Founder @ Stereofox

Mr-BS 06-29-16

[ Edited ]

Okay,

but is there a solution to add a goal that gives me at the results page a conversionrate for the whole funnel?

Level 2
Mr-BS 07-04-16

[ Edited ]

Hey,

I tried a pageview goal and added all the urls of my checkout steps to the url targeting but if I´m leaving the checkout for e.g. at step2  I´m still getting a 100% conversion.

So it it possible to track a conversion for the whole funnel with Optimizely?

Level 2

That's impossible. Is your funnel perhaps a SPA? That can cause some issues I think as it's technically the same URL.

Also, what do you mean by tracking the whole funnel as a conversion? A conversion should be whatever you decide (depending on the scope of your test). For a "macro" experiment should be user who reaches the thank you (or whatever the post-purchase) page.
Performance Marketing Manager @ Blacklane
Founder @ Stereofox