Rich-text Reply

Google Analytics data not matching experiment results

TheoMoule 03-16-15

Google Analytics data not matching experiment results

Hello!

In Optimizely experement results, it says I have 74 unique visitors (from source type: campaign). In Analytics, it says I have 84 new visitors (for paid search) within the same date range. Do you know why this is? Does source type: campaign actually mean exclusive to adwords? Have I not intergrated correctly?

Cheers,

Ehsan 03-17-15

Re: Google Analytics data not matching experiment results

Hi Theo,

Great question!  The discrepency is likely due to how the differenct metrics are defined.  According to our KB article on Default Segments, our "Campaign" source type:

contains users that visit through referral URLs containing 'utm_campaign' or 'gclid' parameter. If the URL contains one of these (two) parameters, the visitor will count as "Campaign" traffic even if they arrived through search.

Google Analytics may be considering other variables in their metric for a "Paid Search" visitor.  Check out their Analytics Help Center to find their latest definition.

Optimizely
alanlin 05-06-15

Re: Google Analytics data not matching experiment results

FYI, GA does not use last click to define channels. If someone came to the site last week through paid search and then came to your site today via direct load. They will be defined as a paid search session. The time frame can be set/viewed in your administration tab.
Level 1