Rich-text Reply

Google Analytics shows a high number of visitors, Optimizely has almost 0. Why?

Jaanvie 02-26-15

Google Analytics shows a high number of visitors, Optimizely has almost 0. Why?

[ Edited ]

I have a similar issue. Since yesterday GA shows really high numbers but Optimizely shows only 4 visitors.

I have set up an experiment on the home page. The numbers I am looking at in GA is Sessions, Under behaviour tab - /index page views and /home index page views.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!

Level 2

Amanda 02-26-15

Re: Google Analytics shows a high number of visitors, Optimizely has almost 0. Why?

This sounds to me like it might either be a targeting issue or a snippet issue. Can you confirm that your snippet is correctly installed on the page? Also, is your URL targeting the same as the view you are looking at in Google Analytics? For example, make sure you are not looking at sitewide data in GA but just testing 1 page in Optimizely.

Also, did the results look correct originally and this just was an issue yesterday? Or has this been an issue since the experiment started?

Thanks!
Optimizely
Jaanvie 02-27-15

Re: Google Analytics shows a high number of visitors, Optimizely has almost 0. Why?

I set up the test just yesterday...and it has been lower than GA since. I am looking at page view numbers and not site wide - although today the numbers seem to correct for one of my test - test on the registration page. But home page visits (my first test) - numbers still not matching to GA

Targeting seems correct - All visitors , 100% traffic included
Confirmed snippet is installed correctly

I don not understand what you mean by URL targeting the same as the view?
Level 2
Joel_Balmer 03-04-15

Optimizely may be counting visitors differently to how GA counts them, which is explained in this section of our article, here. But more than this, it could be the data you're looking at - Optimizely will only count a single user once over the lifetime of the experiment, but for instance this article explains that a "unique pageview...aggregates pageviews that are generated by the same user during the same session." You can read more on google's support article, here. Would you be able to confirm with me which metric you’re using in your web analytics tool you’re using?

What Amanda was referring to is to make sure the URL targeting of your experiment (lets say, the home page only) matches those pages covered in your GA report, and you need to align the dates and times (in Optimizely's results page, you can filter the page to 'custom' in the top left hand corner). You will also need to align the visitors - if you could use unique visitors as opposed to sessions (this will reset every 30 minutes of inactivity, or if a tab closes) or any other metric. 

I hope that helps!

Jaanvie 03-16-15

Hi Guys, thanks for your help on this...so I had to include the different url's to get all the traffic for example /index, /index/home, etc. However one of the pages GA is tracking is '/' after the home page address and even after adding in Optimizely as an exact match, Optimizely does not seem to track a major portion of the traffic on page '/'...really appreciate your help! Hope my question is clear
Level 2