Rich-text Reply

Have 60 seconds? Ehsan provides a helpful explanation of URL targeting.

Amanda 04-06-15

Have 60 seconds? Ehsan provides a helpful explanation of URL targeting.

[ Edited ]

Welcome to One Minute Mondays, because on Monday, you only have one minute.

Each Monday, we’ll post an education-packed tip presented by one of our very own employees. Learn something new, connect with the Optimizely team, and get inspired --- all in 60 seconds!

This week, Ehsan, Optimizely's Technical Support Rep, provides some helpful examples and a wonderful explanation of URL targeting. Plus, he even created a fun URL with additional tips on URL targeting: www.wintermittensforyourkittens.com

Check out all the previous One Minute Monday segments here. You can also click the subscribe button here, and a 60 second tip will be delivered to your inbox every Monday. 

Optimizely

AdamA 04-06-15

Re: Have 60 seconds? Ehsan provides a helpful explanation of URL targeting.

@Ehsan What if I want to make a change to all of my product pages on wintermittensforyourkittens.com at the same time? I'm interested in running a promo that offers 20% off all products to dog lovers who come in through my PPC landing page to attract them into cat ownership, and subsequently, mitten ownership.
Optimizely
Ehsan 04-08-15

Re: Have 60 seconds? Ehsan provides a helpful explanation of URL targeting.

Hey Adam, 

Great question!  If all of your product pages have a pattern in their URL (like the same subdirectory), a Substring Match Type will target any URL with the sequence of characters (like "/product/") that you identify.

If your product pages are not that easily identifiable, but do have some type of URL pattern to them, you can use the Reguar Expression (or RegEx) Match Type to identify a custom condition that all the product URLs have in common.

Checkout this helpful article on URL Targeting for more details on the four URL Match Types.

Finally, if your product pages are not easily captured by a substring or regular expression in URL targeting, you can configure your experiment to run on product pages by adding a Custom Tag to all of the product pages, and then targeting that tag in your Optimizely experiment.

Optimizely