Rich-text Reply

Higher Lead Conversions than Engagement: doesn't make sense

TAM-2015 01-13-15

Higher Lead Conversions than Engagement: doesn't make sense

Hi All

I think I've somehow messed up this test but I can't figure out what.

As far as I can tell there's no way to have a LOWER engagement rate than lead capture rate (unless multiple people go through the opt in process multiple times - which is unlikely).

http://screencast.com/t/T9DeqaTs

The variation on this test is using a LeadPages page. Both pages have 2-step opt in process which accounts for the higher rates of engagement than Leads. 

But I'm still baffled as to how the Leads on Variation 1 are showing higher conversions than the Engagement. 

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Level 1

Brian_Abad 01-13-15

Re: Higher Lead Conversions than Engagement: doesn't make sense

Thanks for your question!

A possibility may stem from a user entering your experiment's landing page, not clicking on anywhere on the page, and leaving your site - thus never triggering the Engagement goal. Then, they may visit another section of your site where this experiment is not running and make their way to your Leads page where you are measuring page view goals. In this sense, users are bucketed into your experiment, never trigger Engagement, but reach the subsequent URL where the page view goal is placed.

Does this sound like a possibility to explain this data? Let me know if I can explain further!
---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely
TAM-2015 01-13-15

Re: Higher Lead Conversions than Engagement: doesn't make sense

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply!

In theory that makes sense... though it would apply equally to the other page in the experiment as well.

In practice it wouldn't have a significant impact on the test since the traffic landing on the conversion page from elsewhere is negligible.

I paused that first test, duplicated it and have started running the duplicated test. Same results. Optimizely is showing 30% for Engagement 39% for leads. Still doesn't make sense to me.
Level 1