Rich-text Reply

How do I change the primary goal of an experiment?

amf 05-08-14

How do I change the primary goal of an experiment?

The new results view (/results2) is kinda cool, but it only shows one of my goals by default, and invariably, it chooses to show the "Engagement" goal, which is usually the least meaningful one for my experiment. :/

How do I choose a different primary goal so that the new results page will be easier to use?

amf
Level 1

AdamA 05-09-14

Re: How do I change the primary goal of an experiment?

Hello there,

The new results page is currently in beta, so we really appreciate your feedback! Look for the ability to set a new default goal soon.

Thanks!
Optimizely

Adam, you haven't answered the question here. How do you change the primary goal? 

If this isn't possible to do in the new beta page, then how do I get to the non-beta page and make this change there?

AdamA 06-04-14

[ Edited ]

Hi crmoptimizely,

You now do have the ability to change your primary goal on the results page.

First, make sure you're viewing your Primary Goal report.

Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 4.57.40 PM.png

From the primary goal report, look for the dropdown at the top of the results page (next to the date range filter), and you can set a different goal to view as your primary goal.

Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 4.54.34 PM.png

Unfortunately, reverting to the old results page won't help you with your primary goal, as the old results page doesn't have a concept of primary goals (you just dragged and dropped goals in whatever order you wanted).

Please let me know if this answers your question, and how else I can help!

Optimizely
laurenm 10-27-14

I am following this and I don't have this drop down. Is this an error? See screenshot.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 4.33.14 PM.png
Level 2
AdamA 10-27-14

Hey there @laurenm  -- you're right about that. We're currently working on new primary goal functionality, but it currently does not appear on the Results Page as described in that previous post. I'll update you on this thread when we have the feature in place -- thanks for your patience!

Optimizely
laurenm 10-27-14

Hi adam,

Thanks for the quick response. In the meantime, is there a way to base experiments on other goals, like revenue?

Thanks!
Level 2
AdamA 10-28-14

[ Edited ]

@laurenm there sure is. You can base experiments off any goal, as long as it's set up in the experiment. So for instance, if you wanted to use Revenue as your goal, you'd set up a revenue goal as we describe in this article (https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039865), then on the Results Page, you'd scroll down to where you see the Revenue goal and look at the results just for that specific goal.

If you set up other goals in your experiment, you can use them to provide color, tell the story, and provide additional insights -- but Revenue would be the one you're using to ultimately determine whether to implement the change.

One more small update: I've learned that, even though we haven't yet created this ability in the Goals menu, there is currently a way to set a primary goal on the Results Page. In the right panel, under Results Views, you'll see a view called Primary goal. If you click that, it will trigger a dropdown menu that lets you select a primary goal. I've taken a screenshot of what that looks like here:

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 11.19.03 AM.png

Please let me know how that helps you out!

Optimizely
AllisonR 12-29-15

As a quick update: since the product is constantly being improved upon, some of the features and interfaces may move around and change. The best way to stay up to date on this is to check the Knowledge Base.

Our article on setting a primary goal is here for reference: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039915-Goals-Measure-the-success-of-your-experiment...
Allison
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely | EMEA
Optimizely