Rich-text Reply

How do I set up my first test?

garyasanchez 09-10-15

How do I set up my first test?

I would like to set up what I think is a pretty straight-forward test as our first. 

Test:  I would like to change the title of the navigation tab found here:  http://www.jimcorace.com/  from 'Online Store' to "Parts Store" to see if we get more clicks and shoppers.  

My concern is that this company's web developer doesn't appear to be very sophisticated (he asked me what a landing page is when I requested he create one) and I hate to leave the test setup and implementatin to him.  It would be great if I could set up the test and just send him the snippet code to place in the header for me.  This is a WordPress site.

How would I set this test up? 

Thanks for your help,

Gary

Be Bold & Try Something New Today

Re: How do I set up my first test?

Hi @garyasanchez,

This is a great first test to boost engagement on your site!

The first thing you'll want to do is decide how you want to install Optimizely on your Wordpress site.  We have a number of options described here, based on if you or the developer is controlling everything from within the UI vs. your developer has direct access to the site's source code.  We recommend the first option.

The next thing you'll want to do is pull up your homepage in the Visual Editor by creating a new experiment and specifying your URL.  Once your page comes up, click on the Online Parts header element and you'll see our editing menu pop out.  All of your header items are images so you'll want to choose Edit Element... -> Change Image.  Here, you can specify a new image you have on your computer or another publicly hosted image.

You can then go through the rest of our Six-Step process to define URL Targeting, Audience Targeting, Traffic Allocation, and Goals; and then perform QA.

Does this process work for you?

Harrison Krat
Solutions Architect | Optimizely, Inc.
harrison@optimizely.com

Thanks Harrison,

So just to be clear, step 1 would be to create a new image that says "Parts Store" and that looks integrated into the nav bar?  How do I ensure it's sized properly?  I've aleady played around with the visual editor and stopped when I realized I could not directly edit the item I want to change for the test.

Once I properly set up the test, I'm confident I can figure out how to install Optimzely.

Yes, you do need to create a new image in some outside image editing software. I recommend you create the new image to the exact same size as the existing image on your site. You can also choose Edit
Harrison Krat
harrison@optimizely.com

Apologies, I hit post too soon. You can also choose Edit Element... -> Edit HTML to set the height and width of the img tag to match the specs of the current image, but if that serves to squish a large image that wasn't specifically designed to match the existing size, that may not look great.

Does that recommendation make sense?
Harrison Krat
harrison@optimizely.com

I seem to be having difficulty getting to "GO" as I received the following message (even after I thought I loaded the snippet with the WordPress plugin - I at least added the API code to the plugin).  What might I need to do differently to get started on this test?

optimzely01.png

optimzely02.png

Hello Gary,

I took a look at the site and it appears the snippet is being loaded correctly. Perhaps this was an issue with the diagnostic screen for a minute.  I would try again and see if the error has been fixed.

Optimizely

If it's not one thing, it's another.  Now I'm getting the following message.

unable_to_load.png

I'm giving up for today. It's not looking like I can fix this quickly.