Rich-text Reply

How does optimizely send returning users to the same variation?

vasanthk 04-13-16

How does optimizely send returning users to the same variation?

Hi,

I am trying to use Optimizely for AB testing UI changes in our site.

I woudl like to allocate users to different AB test variations and ensure that when the user re-logs in again he goes to the same variation.

How does Optimizely know/handle that? If not, is there a way to do that by using their API?

Also, do users from the same IP always get to the sent to the same variation? Many companies have the same IP for all users and I woudl like to ensure that they don't all get sent to the same variation.

Any info on this woudl be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vasanth

Level 2

JasonDahlin 04-13-16

Re: How does optimizely send returning users to the same variation?

[ Edited ]

@vasanthk - Optimizely persists experiment:variation combinations for a user via a cookie.  Once allocated to a variation, anyone who uses that browser on that device will stay in the same variation for that experiment until cookies are cleared.

This does not persist across browsers or devices. (The variation I am allocated to is randomly determined for each device and browser that I use.  It will also not persist if I am "Incognito".)

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero
vasanthk 04-13-16

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know.
I know we have a way to manually activate an experiment.
Is there a way to manually activate a variation for an experiment in our code?
I use manual activation, but am unable to test out the different variations unfortunately.
Level 2
JasonDahlin 04-13-16

@vasanthk - If you have not disabled force parameters, once you have been "activated" into an expoeriment, you can switch yourself between each variation easily.

From what I've read, it is not possible to activate a user into a specific variation (which would be really nice to be able to do if you wanted to persist an experience across devices (e.g., for logged in users - if their Account ID ends in an odd number, they get variation 0, even numbers get variation 1 - that way the experience is the same across devices.)

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero
vasanthk 04-13-16

I am unable to force a variation with parameters either :-/

Documentation says that we can't force variations with parameters for manual acivation.

And yeah, like you said I was hoping there was a way to persist the test experience for logged in users. Unfortunately that doesn't looks possible either Smiley Sad

Level 2