Rich-text Reply

How is mobile defined within experiement results?

NeilJ78 06-03-15

How is mobile defined within experiement results?

Hi,

I have a homepage test running at the moment, which is showing distinct results split between mobile and non-mobile users.  We think a large part of this is page load speed, as the test variant is a lot lighter and we would therefore expect it work better for mobile users, which it does indeed seem to be.

My question though is to clarify what Optimizely is defining as a mobile user.  is it based on actual devices, or on screen size?  Where do tablets fit in to this?

Thanks

Neil

Level 1

JDahlinANF 06-03-15

Re: How is mobile defined within experiement results?

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/203684114

"Mobile: Whether the visitor is using a mobile device -- please note that this includes visitors who use tablets"

I don't see any documentation that says what attribute is used to place users into "Mobile" in optimizelySegments, but looking through the Optimizely library, is looks like they are looking for "android;blackberry;ipad;iphone;ipod;windows phone" in "window.location.userAgent" (the lack of granularity here would be a good indicator of why tablet users are lumped into Mobile).

NeilJ78 06-03-15

Re: How is mobile defined within experiement results?

Thanks for your reply, that answers my question.

Interesting that there is no distinction between tablet and mobile, when we see quite different behaviour and value from these users.

Neil

Level 1