Rich-text Reply

How to force Optimizely to change the variation? Clearing cookies doesn't work.

Alexey 12-01-14
Accepted Solution

How to force Optimizely to change the variation? Clearing cookies doesn't work.

Is there any way to force Optimizely forget the current session and start a new one?

I want to see all of possible variations when refresh the browser (as if I new client) but it shows me always the same variation. I tried to clear cookies, open browser in incognito mode, change ip, but it doesn't work.

Level 1

Brian_Abad 12-01-14

Re: How to force Optimizely to change the variation? Clearing cookies doesn't work.

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question!

Once a user is bucketed into an experiment and served a variation, we drop a cookie onto their browser that holds this information. This cookie is called the "optimizelyBuckets" cookie (more information can be found here: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/fr/articles/200040335-What-information-does-Optimizely-store-in-its-c... Optimizely will read this cookie to consistently serve the same experiment and variation as long as the user fits all the targeting criteria (URL Targeting and Audiences).

To see a different variation, you can clear cookies or use an incognito browser that does not yet contain this cookie. However, it is still up to the Traffic Allocation settings of your experiment to determine which variation you will see. One workaround is to adjust traffic allocation to 100% of the variation you are looking to preview then clearing cookies or using an incognito browser window. Another method would be to utilize the force variation query parameters as outlined in our knowledge base article here: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200107480-Force-a-specific-variation-to-run-and-other-...

Please note, you'll also count as a new unique visitor within this experiment as you are also clearing the "optimizelyEndUserId" cookie which holds a unique user ID that we utilize when counting unique visitors.

Let me know how this works for you!
---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely
jshklt 12-01-14

Re: How to force Optimizely to change the variation? Clearing cookies doesn't work.

[ Edited ]

I'd do 2 things: clear cache/cookies via privacy/content settings, but then double-check by going to Chrome Inpsector (View > Developer > Developer Tools) and checking the cookies under the Resources tab.

I also use a Chrome extension for EditThisCookie for easy cookie management.

One final thing you can do to double-check your variations is to use the force variation parameter: Just add ?optimizely_xEXPERIMENTID=VARIATIONINDEX to the end of targeted URL as mentioned above.

Level 2
Alexey 12-02-14

Thanks, that makes sense!

Level 1
rstevens11 01-07-15

Hi Brian,

We change the hero image every couple weeks via optimizely.

Today I changed it again and some users are seeing old versions of the hero image from weeks and weeks ago (the experiments are turned off, and i'm running one single experiment). 

How can I tell optimizely to refresh all of my users cache when starting a new experiment?

Thanks!

Ryan

jshklt 01-08-15

Hey Ryan,

Not Brian here, but are you using a different filename for your new hero image? If you rename the file to something different, caching shouldn't apply since it's a different (new) file as far as the browser is concerned.

Also, if you're replacing it again and again in the same experiment it may also cause some issues with cookies - I'd recommend duplicating the experiment every time you make these changes so that a single hero unit is attached to a single test.

Just my $0.02 Smiley Happy

Level 2
rstevens11 01-08-15

thanks for the reply! fyi the website is jewelscent.com

1. i duplicate the experiment every time....never over and over in the same experiment.
2. the file name is different but we are using image link from our server...not optimizely service
eg: https://d3g4hdemv1uws0.cloudfront.net/bannersWebsite/LoveBannerLetters.jpg
: https://d3g4hdemv1uws0.cloudfront.net/bannersWebsite/newbanner2.jpg

any other ideas??

thanks!
jshklt 01-08-15

Hm, that's tough. A shot-in-the-dark option would be clearing it manually on the CloudFront side - maybe the cache expiry for this particular image was set to a long period of time accidentally. It's unlikely to solve it tbh, but worth a shot if you've tried everything else.

Anyways, good luck! Let us know if/when you sort it out.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/Invalidation.html
Level 2