Rich-text Reply

How to measure engagement for the last page of a multi-page experiment?

vigilante 05-08-15

How to measure engagement for the last page of a multi-page experiment?

[ Edited ]

I would like to compare engagement of two variants. 

In original solution a link is placed in the top left corner and leads to a next page. In this next page people can perform a lot of actions related to purchases. 

In a variant 1 solution a link is placed in the right hand-side of a page and leads to a next page as well.

What I need to measure is: 

1) Clicks on Page 1

2) Engagement and bounce rate on page 2 in variant original and variant 1. 

Untitled drawing (1).png

A the moment I have Goals attached to: 

1) Number of people who clicked the link on Page 1 variant original

2) Number of people who clicked the link on Page 1 variant 1

2) Total engagement goal

Will I be able to tell whether actually variant 1 improved engagement on Page 2?

How will I distinguish engagement generated in Page 1 from engagement generated in Page 2?

Am I missing something? Smiley Happy

Ehsan 05-08-15

Re: How to measure engagement for the last page of a multi-page experiment?

Hi @vigilante,

Great question!  Engagement measures clicks anywere on the page, for all pages that are targeted in the experiment.  You will not be able to distinguish engagement between pages.

For this reason we recommend using more specific goals than engagement to help you determine the success of the variation.  You mentioned that people can perform a lot of actions related to purchases on Page 2.  We highly recommend creating click goals to capture those actions.

Finally, I would also create a pageview goal for Page 2 (which should closely mimic your existing Page 1 link goals) and any other pages that would be related to purchases.

Is that helpful?  Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Optimizely
vigilante 05-11-15

Re: How to measure engagement for the last page of a multi-page experiment?

I used a workaround for this.

On the second page I set goals for all the clickable regions that convert (desired) and separate goals for regions that provide opportunities to escape (undesired).

I can easily calculate number of visitors coming, escaping and converting.